Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2005, 02:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Loki4711
sump. refugium, wet/dry filter

What is the difference between a sump, refugium, wet/dry filter? can one be integrated into the other? i had a spare 10 gal. laying around and looked at a bunch of scetches of sumps and so on. I could not find anything that explains the difference between the three. so after reading a bunch of different articles and looking at scetches i came up with one of my own.
So i went ahead and built it but now i need to know what to ad to it. All i know i need is LS, LR, a pump with enough head hight, and some sort of filter media. Which kind of filter media and and should i add plants and a pc?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sump_plans.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1482   Click image for larger version

Name:	sump_plans.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1483  

Click image for larger version

Name:	picture002_2_.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1484  

10 gal sump refugium
berlin air-rise proteine skimmer
60 gal. wisper power filter
1 damsel, 1black urchent, 1 arrow head crab, 1 red baned shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 sandsifting star, 3 mexican tubo snails
Loki4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:49 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
What is the difference between a sump, refugium, wet/dry filter?
They are all the same thing. Well not really but they are so simular its sicking. A sump is at its very basic a storage vessle that is connected to your tank to increase the water quantity as well as provide a place for your skimmer, heaters, etc. A wet/dry filter has a sump in it and in addition has a chamber for bio media like bioballs to have the water trickle over it for filtration. Wet/drys are also refered to as trickle filters because of this trickle action. Remove the biomedia from a wet/dry and guess what. You have a sump. A refuge is simular only in that you can use it to increase the water capacity of the tank. A refuge is a special purpose tank that you use to grow or cultivate something specific. For example you can have an algae fuge that grows macro alage that you can use for filtration as well as feeding for your main tank. Other forms of refuge can be used to grow amphipods and copepods. There is a good article on both fuges and sumps in our articles section (see link in sig or link above).

Your diagram looks good but I do have one question. How is the water getting out of the skimmer chamber? The walls look as if they are the full height of the tank. They should be shorter than the tank walls to facilitate the water flowing over the shorter wall into the fuge area. Do you know how much water will reside in the return pump section? When you have evaporation this is where the water level will drop. If that chamber is to small you will have a problem with evaportion and the pump sucking air as the water level lowers. An auto topoff device can be a good aid in not having to to off the tank daily.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #3

Thanks that explains alot. the wall going from the skimmer side to the fuge side is about a 1/2 in. lower. what about filter media? i figured i can add bio balls or some other media to the chamber where the water flows in, but the chamber is not that big its only 5x5x11. is there anything smaller more efficiant? also should i use any other sediment besides LS? what about miracle mud or something like that?
10 gal sump refugium
1 damsel, 1black urchent, 1 arrow head crab, 1 red baned shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 sandsifting star, 3 mexican tubo snails
Old 03-15-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its good to see someone from the tampa area here...Welcome
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:56 PM   #5

Thanks, good to know. Got any recomendations about LFS here?
10 gal sump refugium
Old 03-15-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is marine warehouse on Hillsborough and pet mart on busch blvd
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:26 AM   #7

i usually go to creative oceans on dale mabury just south of 275 they have really nice LR when they get in a new load. ive never been to marine warehouse got to go check that out.
10 gal sump refugium
Old 03-16-2005, 11:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the diagrams...I have a spare 10g tank sitting around and have been thining of upgrading my current tank to a 90g, and converting my 10g into a sump. I'm thinking now that I can build it with some relatively inexpensive acrylic, aquarium safe silicon and egg crates... does not seem like an overly complex situation.

I would of course still need to purchase a good skimmer that could fit in the 10g tank..that might be an issue, not sure. Most of the skimmers I've seen are pretty tall.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:30 PM   #9

it only cost me about 20 bucs for the acrylic and a cuter at homedepot. the silicone i got at LFS. the hardest part is the cutting. since i only have a 35 gallon tank i have a small protein skimmer that will fit right in.
10 gal sump refugium
Old 03-16-2005, 12:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most sump/fuges only hold a portion of their volume in water. You have to leave enough empty space in them so that if your power goes out the overflowing water from the tank will have someplace to go. If your skimmer wall is only 1/2" lower than the top, and if you have allowed space for powerout backflow, how is the water going to get over the skimmer wall into the fuge, then into the sump?

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry, filter, refugium, sump, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com