Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S View Post
I dont think the flow would affect the skimmer.
My thought process was to allow more contact time with the skimmer. My thinking was along the same lines as how a cooling system in a car works. The longer the water stays in the radiator the more it cools before the thermostat opens and its moved to the engine block for cooling and the new water from the engine block begins to cool. The longer the water is in the sump the more junk can be taken out of the water before being pumped back into the tank

Old 05-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

The only thing I can think if that would counter that: the longer it stays in the radiator the longer the rest of the water has time to heat up. And the opposite is true to (to fast and it will not cool properly). There is a general happy medium for everything. Sometimes you have to play around with it to find what works best for you, other times it's written down on a piece of paper for you to read There is a few formulas floating around on the internet that will tell you how much flow you will lose at a given height, using what ever material, and the i.d. of the material. Even factoring in ball valves, 45į, 90į joints, etc. if you figure out how much flow you want on your return, you can use one of these charts to help you in buying the appropriate sized return pump. There are very easy to use.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have an overflow that is rated at 600gph. My return pump is a via aqua 2600. It has a return of 750gph with 8ft of head. What I would do is get an overflow that you like and a pump that is about the same gph. Remember it's the head pressure u want to look at. Place a valve on the overflow and the return pump. With this u can tweak the system allowing for Any pump and overflow to go together. Trust me you do not want 600gph going through your sump. That is way to much flow for a fuge.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Why would you put a valve on the over flow? Seems like extra unnecessary work to sync them, and adds a greater chance of over flowing the dt.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You would put one just invade the overflow is just a tad to strong for the return pump. Another alternative is to change the size of the siphon hose. I went from a 1in to a 3/4.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php Head Loss Calculator
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sweet definitely book marking this page
Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22 View Post
I have an overflow that is rated at 600gph. My return pump is a via aqua 2600. It has a return of 750gph with 8ft of head. What I would do is get an overflow that you like and a pump that is about the same gph. Remember it's the head pressure u want to look at. Place a valve on the overflow and the return pump. With this u can tweak the system allowing for Any pump and overflow to go together. Trust me you do not want 600gph going through your sump. That is way to much flow for a fuge.
You should never put any valves on the overflow drain pipe,If any algae or food gets jammed in their you'll have a flood,The idea is to match your return pump gph after headlose to the overflow syphon pipe gph,If your overflow is draining too quickly then your return pump is too slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22 View Post
You would put one just invade the overflow is just a tad to strong for the return pump. Another alternative is to change the size of the siphon hose. I went from a 1in to a 3/4.
Again the overflow isn't too strong,your pump is too slow.Remember the flow going through the syphon needs to be strong enough to force any bubbles through it at the pumps slowest rate(when impellors/filters get slghtly blocked)otherwise again their is a chance of air break and floods.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I hate jumping in but can I ask a question too? I have an overflow rated at 1000gph and the return pump is rated at 1500 w/1' of head.

Did I get a too big of a pump? I was told to just get a ball valve to restrict the flow....

What do I do? The return pump is a 1" outlet, should I change the diameter?

Sorry to just take over with questions LOL

Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

No worries Carey! Ur questions are helping me too.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com