sump set up question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a 20 gallon aquarium setup as a sump, for my 72 gallon bowfront tank. I would like to improve my sump setup and I'm thinking of upgrading to this http://www.aquamartonline.com/01551_1_16_1551.html

I'm puzzled as to how I'm going to connect this sump to my current setup. I have one line coming from the bottom of the tank (out) and one line taking going back into the tank (it's been bottom drilled). I noticed that this new sump has 3 inlet/oulets.

My upper math skills tell me that I have one too many outlet/inlets.....what am I missing?? :confused:

Do you have enough room in your cabinet for that? It's pretty large. The one on the top right looks like it is for a return pump. The one on the left is where your drain line would connect and I'm not sure about the bottom right bulkhead. I don't care for the pre-built setups. I like to do it myself. I have the same tank you do. I have a 20g tall as my fuge and a 10g as my return tank. My skimmer is plumbed inline and drains into the 10g.

It looks like there are two inlet with different size barb connectors. One won't be used in your setup. The bottom drain is where a pump will be connected to return water back to the tank. I don't know why they put the drains on opposite sides of the sump.

Do you have enough room in your cabinet for that? It's pretty large. The one on the top right looks like it is for a return pump. The one on the left is where your drain line would connect and I'm not sure about the bottom right bulkhead. I don't care for the pre-built setups. I like to do it myself. I have the same tank you do. I have a 20g tall as my fuge and a 10g as my return tank. My skimmer is plumbed inline and drains into the 10g.

I actually called the company today and the person said they would make a custom one specifically for the 72 bowfront....but it would essentially the same as the one in the link. I wouldn't mind doing it myself but I don't have the knowledge to do it...so, I'll fess up the $$$ to have someone else figure it out.

Do you think you could get a picture of your setup? I would be very interested in seeing exactly how you fit it into the stand setup.

Well that is one thing that I didn't mention. I custom built the stand. It is actually built to hold upto a 110 (4')tank.

This shows the plumbing coming through the stand. Pipe on the right goes to the skimmer and the pipe on the left goes over to the fuge.
1001595xt7.jpg

This is the fuge. As you can see it is full of macro, on the right hand side there is a lot of LR you just can't see it.
1001599pr4.jpg

This is my return tank. It's just a 10g tank. You can see the skimmer return on the right rear. The fuge return is directly infront of that and the third pipe coming into the return tank is from the 55g frag tank. Currently I am running 3 return pumps. 2 for the main tank and 1 for the frag tank.
1001598pc4.jpg

Here is a shot of both sides of the cabinet. The left sideof the cabinet has a pass through into my fish closet behind the tank.
1001636yg3.jpg

Anyway I hope that helps you out in some way.

Last edited:
That is great! Thank you very much for getting those pictures. I can see that I really need to invest some more time in developing the sump setup. I was thinking of setting up an area for sometype of macro algae but I wasn't sure about the lighting needed for it. From your setup I see that I don't really need to invest tons of $$$ on it.

Thank you again Ziggy!

The light over my fuge is that $9 clip light that you can get from Home Depot, Lowes or even Walmart. The bulb I'm using is a CF 100w bulb (uses 23w of power) It does a great job of growing the macro. Total cost I think was $15 with the bulb.

Back
Top Bottom