sump size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newreefaddict

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I am about to start the process of setting up a 225, letting it cycle and transfering my 75g over. Right now i have an old 55g i was going to get made into a sump/fuge. I was thinking though that that seems a bit to small.... I was thinking about getting one either custom built to my demensions or putting a 75g down there. Any thoughts?

what depth are the tanks,you dont want to struggle getting equipment in and out of your sump,otherwise as big as you like

First, bigger is always better when it comes to sumps! That being said I think it is recommended to have 20-30% sump size compared to the DT. So that is between 45-67 gallons. Remember that even a 55g won't have the water all the way to the top in order to leave room for power outages and stuff so I would say go with the 75 if you can swing it.

Appreciate the help guys!! I think that I am going to go with one built to utilize the max capacity down there.

Back
Top Bottom