Sump size for 38 gallon long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthewh133

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, just wondering what size tank I should be looking at getting to use as a sump for my 38 gallon long tank?

Thanks!

For a 38gal. I would say mabey a 10gal-20 long sump depending on what you what to do. This differs such as reef or fish only. One can get by with a canaster filter for a fish only tank. I have never ran the canaster, so I don't know how well they work. Over all it depends on what your gonna be doing and how much room you can spare downstairs. But keep in mind Bigger downstairs is allways better. For my 75gal tank I went with a 33long sump. In this i have a wet/dry filtration, a hydor skimmer, and a refug. All that ties in to only useing one return pump. I have had no problems in my tank that my sump can't Handel.

Thanks for the replies guys. Well, I plan on doing coral, and adding a skimmer etc, so maybe a 20 gallon should do the trick for a 38 gallon tank?

Hey, no prob! Let's see some pic's when your all done.

Love the enjoyment of a saltwater tank.

Will do :) I'm nearly sorted now, just have to choose a decently priced skimmer I think. Can't wait to get it all up and running!

I heard red sea makes some real good skimmers. That's what I would of looked into, but I got a hydor skimmer. There about the same price when I checked. I got a hydor 450 performer skimmer! It's a great skimmer, works great for the heavy bio-load of my tank. A little bit more work then the red sea's. So worth the 400 i paid Its a great skimmer, i would not send mine back. But they want a lot of money for them. The only downfall.

The expence of the sw world is gonna be a good skimmer, lights, and the filtration. All depending on who goes with what.

Thanks for the tip :) Unfortunately I can't budget $400 for a skimmer, but I'm looking at a used Aqua C EV180 atm for about $180 which I think may be a good pick up? I'm only getting a few LPS coral and maybe 3-5 fish.

You're right though, so many options!

matthewh133 said:
Thanks for the tip :) Unfortunately I can't budget $400 for a skimmer, but I'm looking at a used Aqua C EV180 atm for about $180 which I think may be a good pick up? I'm only getting a few LPS coral and maybe 3-5 fish.

You're right though, so many options!

Unfortunately I have not used that brand. So I am not any help there, but looking at some of the reviews of the skimmer or YouTube videos of the skimmer gives a good idea, if it would fit your tank. Hope it does! 400 for a skimmer is over kill, but that sounds like a good price!

Back
Top Bottom