Sump Strategy, advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlips12

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I received my all in one sump last week and I am now in the process of returning it. For 225 bucks it came with;

1. cheesy looking PS that was broken at the base
2. hang on type pre-filter , that I do not need since I have a tank with an overflow
3. rio 400 for the PS
4. bio ball section , that I do not need since I am using LR with a DSB

So with this in mind I would like to by a better quality PS and a sump/ small tank. Do you think this would be a better approach. I have 55 gal corner tank with bowed front. My pump is a mag drive 7.

Any advice would be great.

oops

Forgot the most important question. What Protein Skimmer should I go with that is reasonably priced and of sound quality.

Depending on what your budget is, check out www.lifereef.com The system includes pumps and skimmer so you may not need it all. You also have to wait a few months for it. I just ordered mine and it won't be here til October.

A friend has one and it has been pretty much hands free for the last 3 years. I guess the long wait time is a sign that they are an excellent system.

Good luck.

Toby

You could just use a smaller tank(whatever will fit in your stand) for a sump. Try doing a search on google for DIY sump and you'll get a bunch of hits.
As for protein skimmers, I suggest getting the best skimmer your wallet can afford. I learned my lesson a while(and a few cheap skimmers)ago to buy the best you can afford. I would look into Euroreef, Aqua C, ETSS, Lifereef, Tunze(to name a few) for a very good in sump skimmer.

Brian

Thanks alot BrianH for taking the time to respond. It will be an in sump skimmer and I would like to keep it under 150 but that may be tough.

I think I will go out to wall mart or used small tank for the time being and doing the search as you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom