sump tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zapdbf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi , thanks for all the advice, i realy appreciate it. i was reading your articals about a sump, and i beleve i could use my flovil 404 as the pump from the sump to the main tank, but how does the syphon work? how do i keep from overflowing the sump or the display tank with water, that part i did not understand very well.

You need to choose a pump that does not over power your ability to overflow water. That will keep the display from overflowing. I have an overflow box with an aqualifter connected to it to ensure that I don't lose siphon due to air bubbles in the overflow chamber (I was having a problem with this prior to the aqualifter). I have a float switch on the sump as a safe second. That's usually my indicator that I need to top off the tank, but in the event that the overflow were to stop working it would shut off the pump before pouring water on the floor. The overflow box ensures that I don't lose siphon and that I don't siphon out my entire tank in the event of a power failure. Also in my return lines I've got small holes drilled just below the water surface to ensure that my display doesn't back siphon into my sump in the event of a powerfailure.

HTH.

I have a float switch on the sump as a safe second.

How did you set that-up... I like that idea a lot. Right now, I have my return pump elevated so that it is 2 inches below the water surface of the sump. If my overflow stopped working, my return pump can't continue to pump water and overflow the display tank... the pump would start to run dry before that would happen. So far, that has worked fine, however I worry about what could happen if the pump did have to run dry for an extended time (like while I was at work).

Im quite certian that the guys at www.autotopoff.com could hook you up with a system IndyReefMan.. :p

sales@autotopoff.com is the email addy to contact them about custom systems and since its just a kill switch it would be a custom setup for them.. They normaly have a option for a extra switch to kill the topoff pump but Im quite sure they could get you a system that does nothing but that for your sump pump.. HTH

Back
Top Bottom