Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sump tank Pricey or Just Right?

Turboflotor 1000 Protein Skimmer w/ Rio 2100 Pump w/ 300 gal. capacity top of the line fluidized bed ï Includes: an acrylic "Lexan Sump" with attention to DETAIL. A mounted 100 micron 16" total reusable mechanical filtration bag. Chemical reaction chamber and electronic probe holder. 1.5" or 2" flexible bulkhead with union (please specify). 1" tank adapter w/semi-automatic water change system. A framed top. Quiet with low evaporation, this system is complete.
A friend of mine who is doing a 125 gallon reef tank is considering purchasing for his sump tank. Is this a good price for a system or is this to pricey? Cost of this system is 470 + tax i believe. I started a FOWLR tank without a sump tank. I got a bunch of stuff hanging on the sides and the back so he thought he'll invest in the sump to avoid what i got. I just dont got the dough fork over but if this works for him and you guys think its a good system i might have to save up some dough to get this as my X-mas present

Max_in_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
In my opinion that is a lot of money to spend on a sump. He could DIY very easily and spend a lot less money. All he would need to do is buy a 20G long tank, a protein skimmer, an overflow box and a return pump and you would have a basic necessities for a sump. He could then put the heater and whatever else he wanted into the sump and the back of the main tank would be much cleaner.

tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
what is the price....am i blind or have i just been sitting infront of this monitor too long.... LOL
I got mine off ebay used and got it and was very happy with it...it is a maxireef w/ everything but the pump and got it shipped for about $100. Not saying that is what you should do but look all over this hobby is expensive and unless u have money growing on a tree out back...you have to be smart and do what you can to get good stuff at a good price.
check my site out --> www.coppernreef.com
pearsont74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
If you got a 125g tank you have around 5.5 feet of room under a stand. I would build something really sweet that was customized to your setup before i spend 500 bucks on a pre-made that gives you no flexibility.

i.e. a 48" sump about 16" tall. use about 16 - 24 inches to house equipment and then use the rest as a fuge. This not only looks cool, you have tons of room to play with it, and you potentially add around 40 - 60 gallons of water to you system volume. If you don't want to custom build the sump housing you could easily stick a 55G down there.
Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I decided to buy a new sump from customaquatics.com for $180.00. It's 30x16x16, which is roughly 33 gallons give or take. I'm not a DIY person. I just wanted something bigger that I could throw all my equipment in, and make water changes easier. You could buy this one and add a skimmer and it would still be under $470.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote

sump, sump tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com