Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pisces3473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In Cali
Posts: 623
Sump Tank ?'s

I'm not ready yet however I know my next Reef is going to be a 40g. Do I have to do a sump? Can you tell me the Pros and Cons to having one. Is there a correct ratio for the sump I make, DT size vs. Sump size.

__________________

__________________
I don't always build a reef, but when I do I take my time. Stay patient my friends.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Bigger the better is the rule on the sump so put the biggest tank you can fit under the stand for your sump. There really are no cons to a sump but the pros are great like hiding equipment, increased water volume, more room for more equipment, chance to utilize a refugium, and more room for rock/bio filtration allowing for less in the DT. Also, if your gonna do a sump drill, drill ,DRILL. Youll regret not doing it once you get a chance to use a drilled tank or experience your first HOB overflow flood.
__________________

__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pisces3473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In Cali
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Bigger the better is the rule on the sump so put the biggest tank you can fit under the stand for your sump. There really are no cons to a sump but the pros are great like hiding equipment, increased water volume, more room for more equipment, chance to utilize a refugium, and more room for rock/bio filtration allowing for less in the DT. Also, if your gonna do a sump drill, drill ,DRILL. Youll regret not doing it once you get a chance to use a drilled tank or experience your first HOB overflow flood.
How do I go about drilling a glass aquarium? They've got that warning label on them, "Do Not Drill - Tempered Glass..." Since this project hasn't started yet, should my sump be equal size to the DT? I can make/buy any size stand.

Also, I was considering buy acrylic or lexan from Home depot to make my sump is this a bad idea?
__________________
I don't always build a reef, but when I do I take my time. Stay patient my friends.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
You could make your own sump that'd be fine but it would be more work then just converting a tank into a sump with glass/acrylic baffles. If your tank says do not drill that means that the bottom atleast is tempered glass which you can't really drill but a lot of times the side or back pane isn't tempered. It is best to find out though before trying. You can go to glass-holes.com I think it is to get everything you need in a kit including the bulkheads. As for size if you can make it equal to you DT then go for it it doesn't hurt to go bigger. Just keep in mind the extra weight your adding on your floor.
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pisces3473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In Cali
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
You could make your own sump that'd be fine but it would be more work then just converting a tank into a sump with glass/acrylic baffles. If your tank says do not drill that means that the bottom atleast is tempered glass which you can't really drill but a lot of times the side or back pane isn't tempered. It is best to find out though before trying. You can go to glass-holes.com I think it is to get everything you need in a kit including the bulkheads. As for size if you can make it equal to you DT then go for it it doesn't hurt to go bigger. Just keep in mind the extra weight your adding on your floor.
I've got two extra tank right now a 40 and a 10. I've got a 10gallon FOWLR waiting to be turned into a reef. I suppose I could somehow marry the two 10gallons to make a twenty gallon sump for the 40g when I'm ready for the reef to grow. There seems to be 3 specific chambers for the sump, although I understand there can be more, is just Drain, bio filter, return. What is the difference between the Refugium and the Bio filter section of the Sump?
__________________
I don't always build a reef, but when I do I take my time. Stay patient my friends.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Biofilters like sponges/rock rubble/ bio balls add surface area for more bacteria. Refugiums create safe havens for fauna and micro organisms to reproduce and constantly seed the display tank along with lowering nutrient levels with the different plants.
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pisces3473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In Cali
Posts: 623
Ok, sounds like the Refugium does a bio filter as well but on top of that adds more nutrients to the water as well. Am I understanding correctly? That would also mean the Refugium will be more maintenence as well, almost like a second tank. Is that correct also?
__________________
I don't always build a reef, but when I do I take my time. Stay patient my friends.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Kind of true. The refugium won't add as much bio filtration but it does add some. As for maintaining it, if your sump is setup correctly then all you should really need to do is trim back the macro algae you are using which most including me use chaeto.
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pisces3473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In Cali
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Kind of true. The refugium won't add as much bio filtration but it does add some. As for maintaining it, if your sump is setup correctly then all you should really need to do is trim back the macro algae you are using which most including me use chaeto.
I suppose now all I have to do is build it. That will be interesting, I've never built one before. Do I need to use a skimmer in the sump? That's been throwing me off a bit.
__________________

__________________
I don't always build a reef, but when I do I take my time. Stay patient my friends.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sump, sump tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.