Sumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crama1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just got a new bigger marine tank with sump I am new to sumps as I had canister filter on my other tank can anyone help me on what filter media I should use in my sump and how much of it ??

In my sump there's a skimmer, macro algae (cheato) live rock and a hob filled with charcoal.
If you do a search on here "sumps" you'll find a lot of different ways to set yours up.

I have just got a new bigger marine tank with sump I am new to sumps as I had canister filter on my other tank can anyone help me on what filter media I should use in my sump and how much of it ??
Well your media is what you want to run, but usually it depends on how your sump is set up. If you have the setup for cheato or macro, then def do it. What does your sump have? How does the water flow go?

Over flow pipe running directly down into the larger chamber of 80ltr sump 3 chambers in all skimmer in middle chamber no media just yet

Return pump in first smallest chamber

Return pump in first smallest chamber
Put the return pump in the last chamber so you get a full pull across the sump. Less wasted space that way. I use a media bag and just let them sit in the sump. I run one bag full of carbon and one with phos guard but neither are required. If it's set up for a refugium then you'd be better off putting a light over it and growing macro algae

If you can move the skimmer to the large chamber where the overflow pipes run, that is the standard setup. That leave the most room in the second chamber for the refugium. That's where you want to put your macro algae.

If you can move the skimmer to the large chamber where the overflow pipes run, that is the standard setup. That leave the most room in the second chamber for the refugium. That's where you want to put your macro algae.
+1 you want a set level for your skimmer and any media pumps you may run. I put my media in bags and have them between the overflow of my last chamber where my return is. All carbon as I also run a Dsb, cheato, and other algae in the center section.

Back
Top Bottom