Sumps and crystal clear water ... possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all and Merry Christmas,

I have been spending alot of time looking at the tank lately, admiring the new things I see on my LR. I have also noticed alot more particles in the water. I know this is from moving from a wet/dry with a filter pad to a basic sump with the only filter media being a prefilter on the return pump.

What do most use to get really clear water or is this just part of it? I remember seeing a setup once that had a filter sock or bag on the tank drain into the sump and was wondering how good this would work?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

i've seen filter bags of varying micron ratings for sale - also different coarseness of foam and floss to place between baffles in your sump.

that is probably a good way to achieve the clarity you're talking about

Ozone when combined with mechanical filtration will give absolutely the clearest water you will ever see!

Ozone when combined with mechanical filtration will give absolutely the clearest water you will ever see!

What do you mean by ozone combined with mechanical?

I had considered placing a square container that would rest on the tank and then drill holes in the container. I could place a filter pad in it and sort of mimic the drip plate that is in my wet/dry. A filter sock tied to the end of the drain tube would be simple though.

By mechanical i mean something to catch the detritus. It can be a filter sock or just some of that blue and white filter pad material on your drip plate. If you also add an ozonizer the water gets even clearer. like to run the Nu-clear filters with the micron filters. They really polish the water well in a FO tank. The ozone jusat takes it to the next level of clarity and is not really a requirment just a nice feature. It does however present problems of its own.

The way it is set up right now, I don't have a drip plate. The drain from the over flow just dumps straight into the sump.

I guess I will try my DIY drip plate idea or just tie a filter sock to the drain line. I would guess the filter sock would need to be cleaned or replaced more often though ...

Thanks for the tips.

Merry Christmas all :)

Ozoner

Darin,

Would you please explain the "mechanics" & "setup" for a "ozoner"

I am in process of planning a tank upgrade and noticed the skimmer I have pretty much decided on (AquaC EV-180) has an option for a "Ozone/Calcium Reactor Fitting"

Is it just a matter of getting a "Ozone" generator and connecting up to this fitting?

If so, what would you recommend (going on a 120 "all-glass" tank)

Rgds,

OmarD

Would a 180 micron bag be good enough for to put on my drain line? I have seen 100 micron but I need some other stuff and I can only find 180 micron at drsfostersmiths.com.

I have sort of a baffle wall in between my return pump and the skimmer I might try and put a carbon filter pad there to get some filtration and carbon too.

Think this will be ok? I added a lee's media bag but I don't know what the micron rating on it is. It does not appear to be filter much.

Thanks

omar yes buying a ozone generator and air dryer is all ya would need!!
for your size tank and to be on the safe side dont add more than 50mg an hour !!
some people say ya should monitor your ORP but i dont and at 50mg/hr i feel it safe

Back
Top Bottom