Sumps and Refugiums in reef tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Webo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 100 gallon display reef with a 80 gallon sump. Within the sump there's a refugium that holds about 30 gallons of water. I put kent marine bio sediment (about 4" deep) in the refugium with a decent amount of live rock. The lighting on the refugium is counter cyclical to the display tank (turns on at night). I also have chetomorpha in the refugium.

I have a couple of questions on the refugium - can I move the live rock from the refugium to the other parts of the sump (where there's no lighting)? or does the live rock require lighting certain amount of the day? How much live rock can I put in a sump? Is there such a thing as too much live rock for a system? Obviously you lose water volume through displacement, so that's a negative to too much LR.

Welcome to AA!

Yes, the LR can be placed anywhere in the system and still provide the benefits that it gives. The only potential downside to having too much LR in your sump is that it takes up room and lessens your water volume.

I agree that the LR can be moved. It does not need light to do it`s job. BTW welcome to AA

Back
Top Bottom