Sun coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sub night

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Where is a good spot for him bottom middle or top my LEDs light or 15 k need some help

Thanks

Where is a good spot for him bottom middle or top my LEDs light or 15 k need some help

Thanks

Start at the sand bed and see how it goes. I have the AI SOL BLUE LED fixture and my sun coral is on the sand bed.

Check my photo album for pics.

Sun corals don't need the light. They aren't photosynthetic and in the wild are sometimes found in caves. I have mine under a rock overhang and it gets no direct light. You'll need to feed it mysis, brine or bloodworms at least twice a week. Very cool coral. It took a little time to train mine to come out during the day, though. They usually only come out at night.

Great thanks guys

Attachments

• image-2971608712.jpg
    image-2971608712.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 120
You might already know this, but I believe they are high maintenance and require regaular feedings of each polyp with something like mysis shrimp. I've seen some neat setups with feeding "bells" made from the tops of 2 liter bottles. When it comes to placement, I would make easy access to the coral for spot feeding the priority.

The amount of times per week to feed this up to the person feeding. It's true you need to feed each head. Some people feed theirs every day and others -like me- feed 2-3 times/ week. It all depends on how much nutrients you're willing to add to your tank. Excess nutrients, as we know, can lead to cyano and algae. Mine has done fine over the last 4-5 months and has grown a few new heads too, so I think 2-3x/week is good IMO.

Ok I'll try that my sun coral really has not open all the way so I really don't know if its me doing something wrong

Ok I'll try that my sun coral really has not open all the way so I really don't know if its me doing something wrong

It might take it a couple days to come out all the way, but they usually start by coming out only after lights out after 12-1AM. You have to train them to come out earlier, took me a few weeks to do that.

Placing some copleeze in the tank usually gets them to open I spot feed mine once a week. I never feed each individual head I just target feed them all. They seem to do well. Interesting fact is there not native to the East coast of Fl or Caribbean but are spreading like crazy.being consider as a threat to native corals.

They grow inside wrecks and caves, I have never seen them out where they get natural light in the wild. They require a organized feeding schedule. I don't mess with them because they are so much extra work, but they sure are pretty. You should see a million of them lining a wreck.

The wreck of the Rhone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Rhone) off of Salt Island was used in the movie The Deep. The entire interior of the wreck use to be diveable, it has since collapsed. The entire interior was covered in sun coral. Couldn't see anything in the day time, but on night dives it was a bright orange cave of sun polyps.

Back
Top Bottom