sun coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pluk1992

Aquarium Advice Activist
bought a sun coral last week and i know there picky and ive been feeding it on regular schedule and it never seems to open fully only very slightly and its begining to worry me and has any one had a encounter with these corals and on how long it should take to open fully and when i should begin to really worry

sun corals are known to be nocturnal. try checking on it at night after your lights have been out for a while. also, i would say corals in general can take a few weeks to get comfortable in thier new enviroment

steve r

Get a two liter bottle and cut the bottom out of it. Place it over the coral and then feed it through the hole in the bottle. Come back it around 10-15 minutes with a baster and stir or "fluff" the water in the bottle with it to get the food off the bottom and back in the water column. It may take a few times but it will realize the food is there and eventually come out. This also keeps the fish, crabs etc from taking the food. Someone on the forum taught me this. I think it was Lando. It works great I have two sun corals. I attached a dial rod to the opening of the bottle with a tie wrap so I do not have to put my hand in the water to feed. ( I have a deep tank)

The sun coral is a great coral if you take the time to feed it. As Brenden mentioned, the pop bottle homemade feeder works great. This coral does not rely on light for energy so it is crucial it is target feed 2-3 times per week. It likes small chuncks of meaty foods, don't forget the suppliments like vita-chem or selcon.

Mine usually come out after I feed my fish. So I wait a couple hours after and feed them brine shrimp. You can see mine in my gallery.

Back
Top Bottom