Sun coral care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bige

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a friend give me rock that turned out to have 4 sun coral polyps on it. I have had it for about a year and it is a pain in my butt. I only feed it. Everything else just eats then. The polyps are small and have slim bodies. When I got it they were just orange spots. So I have brought it back some what. How do you feed? Everything robs it when I feed. I have tried holding it to feed bit it won't eat. I have covered it but it seems to not get what I but on it. I don't know what to do. I like it and its difficulty. I would like to feel like it is thriving. When one polyp takes off another one falls behind.

Whats a post without a pic. Sorry its blurry. Took at night because the coral is shy. I brought it out for pick with cyclopeze.

Attachments

• new pics 009.jpg
    new pics 009.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 98
I believe most people who target feed use something to cover the coral (a dome type structure) so that the coral gets the targeted food. I've seen people use a 2 liter soda bottle cut in half, placed over the coral at feeding and then the food is forced through the spout.

What the captain suggested is what most people use to keep the fish from taking food from them. They do become a pain because you have to target feed each individual head.

As long as they are alive. They are some of the few corals that do not get what they need from the lighting and water column.

Mike, I beleive he meant how often do they need to be fed. Not sure but I believe it's once or twice a week.

From What I have read they like to be fed everyday. It is unrealistic imo. One gets fat while another suffers. This is a coral that I really see as difficult. I am doing a lot for four polyps that aren't even the size of a small zoa. I have found that they are usually kept solitary because of the feeding. But when solitary they flurish. But at the same, it is impressive to show your friends how you can bring them out to feed. When they are out, the tank is alive. Knowing the food is coming.

Thanks for the feeding info. I was using a 7/11 lid. The snails burrow under it. But not as bad as the entire tank robbing them.

Back
Top Bottom