Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sun coral question

Does anyone know how I can get my sun coral to put tentacles out during the day? I see pictures of other's sun corals with the lights on and their tentacles are out. I've heard that they can be "trained" to come out and eat earlier, but not sure how that works. I'm kinda tired of waiting til 1 or 2 AM for mine to come out so I can feed it. At 2A, it looks GREAT, big and happy, but all day with lights on, it's just the orange nubs.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

try and teach them to feed in the day, they come out to feed

Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tried to get the tentacles out during evening couple times while I was feedin the fish. I put the cut-off bottle over it and use Baster to put some of the liquid from the food over them to see if tentacles would come out. No luck.
think maybe if I didn't feed them for 3-4 days, it'd be more apt to come out earlier? I just don't wanna starve the thing, definitely don't want it dying. How long can it go without food? I usually feed it every 2days.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I know they can be traned, but i don't know how. I'll bet this guy knows, "melevesreef.com". Looks like he has lots of sun corals for a very long time, and great pictures of them. If you find out let us know.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The best way to train it, is to feed at the same time of day, all the time. Eventually, it will basically "learn" that this is when food comes. I don't remember how long it takes, but it will take some time.
I've had mine almost 2 years, and I also feed it every other day. I'm sure feeding it more would help it grow, but this schedule seems to keep it happy. For me, feeding it more often would start to effect my water quality, so I've tried to find a balance between, how much food it needs, and how much I'm "polluting" my water.
Good luck with it!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
The best way to train it, is to feed at the same time of day, all the time. Eventually, it will basically "learn" that this is when food comes. I don't remember how long it takes, but it will take some time.
I've had mine almost 2 years, and I also feed it every other day. I'm sure feeding it more would help it grow, but this schedule seems to keep it happy. For me, feeding it more often would start to effect my water quality, so I've tried to find a balance between, how much food it needs, and how much I'm "polluting" my water.
Good luck with it!
Thanks! I'll keep trying to entice it out with liquid from food while lights on. Hopefully mine will someday "learn" dinnertime too!!

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com