Sun Coral vs. BTA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Every once and a while when my BTA is fully inflated and the current in my tank hits it just right a stray tentacle or 2 will brush my sun coral. The BTA retracts violently but the sun coral seems unaffected. Anyone have any opinions on whether or not the BTA is actually hurting the sun coral? I'm in the process or arranging a trade for a smaller BTA but I don't want it to hurt my sun coral in the meantime.

I can't find the link right now, but someone (maybe Jin) posted a "this vs. that" listing on the ARC site awhile back. It sounds like the sun will be ok though. Any chance of moving one?

It might be OK just hitting the outside of the sun coral but if the anenome would to brush one of the polyps while it was out it might be a different story.

I have two guesses. If it is hitting the sun coral when it is closes and retracting i would say this is probably part of their feeding responce. When i ever i put a piece of shrimp in my BTA the tentacles immediately retract in with the food moving it towards the mouth. It may be touching the fleshy tissue and trying to pull it in.

If it is when the sun coral is open i'm sure they are stinging each other. Sun corals because they only feed on what they catch have a fairly strong sting as compared to most corals.

Could be totally off though. Just taking a shot in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom