Sun Polyp Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind ya got? Something in the Tubastrea line. Orange cup? But yes on the feeding question. I understand that they naturally capture fairly large prey. Mysid shrimp, brine, soaked in vitamin would do the trick from a turkey baster I'd guess. Borneman say at first you should coax them by blowing food by them in the beginning, but later they will "extend as soon as the lights go off like a faithful pet waiting for dinner".

They'll also need a decent water flow area.

Thinking of adding one, actually. Love their color. I just want to do my homework on husbandry prior to buying.

I'd recommend Eric Borneman's book, "Corals, Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History". Good book IMO for choosing targeted coral and on care.

If you're talking about corals like the one in my avatar, yes, you need to target feed them. And technically, you need to feed each head (from what I have been lead to believe, anyway). As AustinsDad suggested, coax them out and wait for their polyps to extend. Then target feed with a turkey baster or something like that. We generally shave off some frozen shrimp, mix it with mysis and then feed them that. They can actually handle some good size chunks (relative to their size that is).

They don't have high light requirements so a good flow, low light area is best. We tried putting ours under some rock, but that made it difficut to feed the back heads. We moved it up a bit and it's very very happy.

As the others have said yes you must target feed them I have a oic of mine in my gallery and you will have to work a little to keep them. Not that it is not worth it. Have a good day

austinsdad, I actually have that book as well as Marine Invertabrates by Mr. Shimek. I definitely will use their info. I just like to correlate that info with the real world input from you folks.

Thanks all!

yes its the only food source they will get, they are not symbotic

Back
Top Bottom