Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-05-2003, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Sun polyps

I have some beautiful Sun Polyps. I heard that you must feed each one because if they ALL don't receive food the colony will die. Is this true? It seems to me that if they are all connected then they could live off of part of the colony that is getting nutrition. And, if they are actually seperate from each other, why would the colony die if just one individual does not eat?

I am concerned that perhaps I will harm it by not feeding it correctly. I have had it for appr. 1 month and it appears to be doing well, the polyps emerge two or three times a day. ( it truly is dazzling) I feed zooplankton and microvert, after the lights go off, about 2 times a week.

Does this sound like an acceptable feeding pattern or should it be modified?

I love my corals and want to provide them with a healthy system so they can thrive. I unfortunately listened to an LFSer that led me wrong. I bought a Gonipora because he told me how they are so hearty. What a terrible lesson. It lasted about 2 weeks. Since then I am very careful with my selections and hope I didn't repeat the same mistake with my sun polyps.

You can never have too many friends.
fishtender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 11:06 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
AFAIK, each poylp needs to eat. I take mine out of the tank and put it in a bowl of tank water. I then feed it enriched brine shrimp, chopped krill, blender mush, and even some flake food. This ensures that the coral gets all it wants to eat and it also keeps a lot of organic matter out of the main tank. Put the coral back in the tank and dump the contents of the bowl down the drain. Sun Poylps (tubastrea) are hardy as long as their feeding requirements are met and they are kept free of algal growth.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
So, these should be fed solid foods instead of planktonic foods?
- Gauge

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 04:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
correcto! both probably wouldnt hurt.
saltcreep1025 is offline   Reply With Quote

polyp, polyps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com