Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow, those are awesome looking! I have baby brine shrimp I'll try that next. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Gosh, if they don't eat those, I would see if I could get some live plankton mail order. I bet they would eat live Rotifers. They are defiantly filter feeders and get little or no advantage from light.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you can get your Hands on the august 2011 tropical fish magazine there is a very detailed article about sun polyps in there. It basically says that sun polyps require no light but can thrive in daylight hours no problem. It depends on what time it usually gets fed. You can train it to open during the day. Requires high flow. Many people say it needs to be in a cave, however this is not the case. You can have it right in the open with the other corals. What I did was put it in my sump for a couple of weeks and fed it during the day with the pop bottle method. After it started opening during the day I put it in my main tank and now I just squirt a bit on the polyps with a turkey baster when I feed the tank. Being in a high flow area it does receive lots of good stuff from the water column as well. And if you feed it when you feed the tank the fish and inverts seem to be distracted and leave it alone. Hope this helps...... Oyster eggs are a good one as well. I would swear my corals start crawling when I feed that stuff
Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Did you read this?

http://aquadaily.com/2008/11/26/savi...ing-sun-coral/
Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

On another note. I have a mated pair of green mandarins and they have been thriving for a year now. They don't eat frozen foods. But they have no competition for the pods and worms. And I do live brine about 3 times a month. Tank is a 125 gal. With a 30 gallon sump/refugium
Old 07-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
That is an interesting way to do it. Lots of work to do a tub feed tho
Old 07-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

We feed our sun polyps cyclop-eeze every day and they love it. Just put a little in the tank and wait about a half hour for them to open up, then use a turkey baster to target feed them. Everything else in the tank loves them too.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'll try to cyclops, they still havent opened lately that I've seen. It's been about 4 days since I fed them last as I can't seem to catch them open. lol
Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, ours acted that way too, once we caught them a few times with cyclopeeze they started coming out as soon as they knew it was in the water.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Seems they like to catch a whiff of the food before opening up. My understanding is there is a variety that looks just like these, but are photosynthetic. If I remember right, they were expensive though. Super something's....

Tags
coral, light, polyp, polyps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com