sunami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i have crabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
tried to buy some peppermint shrimp and was told buy 2 lfs that the sunami wiped them out for a while so i was wonderin what else is gonna be in high demant untill that part of the world gets back on thier feet
and how much will the industry suffer

It will be very interesting to see what this tragedy will do to the fish industry. I am not sure if it is a matter of the livestock being wiped out. It may have more to do with collection and shipping problems. It is a nice time for everyone to look into captive raised livestock for a while.

Shipping problems to this point. Was talking to my buddy (who is in the trade). from what he told me, the fish facilities over there were mostly undamaged. They just have bigger things to worry about right now.
I would however expect a price increase in the near future. :|
So tragic over there. :(

i was talking to my new boss and owner of lfs :) about it he told me that one of his distributers lost every guy he had working for him. and another one lost a fair amount of people too i guess. also agreed with the price increase everything in demand is gonna skyrocket by the "opportunists" out there with the stock...

i have crabs said:
tried to buy some peppermint shrimp and was told buy 2 lfs that the sunami wiped them out for a while so i was wonderin what else is gonna be in high demant untill that part of the world gets back on thier feet
and how much will the industry suffer

Hmmmmmmmm.....

The vast majority of corals in this industry come from Indonesia. They are shipped out of Jakarta and Bali, and these two regions were not affected by the earthquake and tsunamis. Indonesian coral shipments are on schedule and we have already received one shipment last week and are expecting another next week. Sri Lanka has had collection areas completely wiped out. Sri Lanka is a prime source for cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, bright blue/green carpet anemones, powder blue tangs, and a few other species. However, all of these species are easily found in other unaffected areas. The Maldives and India provide a very small amount of fish/invertebrates to the trade, and the impact of no collection in those areas should not be too noticable. In short, the rumors of the demise of the industry has been greatly exaggerated. But there have been many collectors severely impacted by this tragedy. Many have lost their livlihoods, and many have lost their lives. We should keep them and their families in our prayers and donate to the relief agencies.

this is a post from another board that pretty much sums up that whole RUMOR. The owner of my LFS said the exact same thing. If prices go up it's because people (the LFS) are getting greedy. If I were you I'd go back to that fish store and tell him that was a lame excuse for not having live stock. Especially since you were trying to get pep. shrimp that A.) can be easily bred in captivity, and B.) are found in the Caribbean.

so yeah, don't believe the hype

i argee from what ive read it should not be a huge problem but thier are no peps in calgary for a while now but i did get some fire shrimp for half what they usualy are so no price jump here

Back
Top Bottom