Sunburst/Fathead Anthias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patroklos

Aquarium Advice Freak
So,

I was in the my LFS last week and saw one of these beautiful fish. I always liked the colors of anthias but they always seemed to slender and delicate looking for my tastes. This one has colors that are just as vibrant but with its sea bass type shape is far more to my liking.

In any case, I have had this fish marked for eventual aquisition for a long time and actually seeing one has sealed the deal. Luckly I was able to resist the urge to impulse buy. This would be a fish for my next aquarium after I move next year, which should be at least three times the size of my current 65.

I was curious if any of you have experiance with this anthias. I was especially curious as to the group dynamics of the fish as the various vendors list it as a normal male/multiple female harem fish but for the most part talk about it being kept individually. Is this a good fish to keep in groups like most other anthias?

The Anthias group of fish are easy to take care of... it is just their appetite that will kill them. If you don't feed them the way they wish to be fed... they will literally starve themselves to death.

Sunbursts will group together and of course have their pecking orders, but they are not column swimmers and tend to perch under/on top of live rock much like hawkfish. Feeding small portions twice daily would suffice, just as it would any fish/aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom