Supplementing Anemones with Iodine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought a Florida Condi Anemone, and was interested in how I should go about supplementing them with Iodine and nutrients, and how often to do so.

I would recomend just doing regular PWCs and not adding iodine. When you start adding supplements to you tank it is easy to foul the water and cause it to crash. You should never add anything to your water that you aren't testing for. A Condi will be just fine with regurlar PWCs...also watch for them to walk all over the tank until they find a happy place.

HTH

If your worried it's not getting enough iodine, you could feeed foods high in iodine to supplement it's needs. It's safer, cheaper and easier than dosing and testing IMO. Feed foods high in iodine like shrimp, crab, lobster. Many commercial frozen brands contain 1 or more of those things. Also keep up w/ PWC's as said. Leaving the shell on shrimp may help as well, as that's where most of the iodine is and anemone's don't seem to mind it.

I've never supplemented iodine to any of my ten tanks in the 13 yrs I've been in the hobby, and my anemones have not suffered at all.
While I don't feed my anemones, (they get enough from my feeding the fish) Dr Ron Shimek said to feed anemones small pieces as the effort to consume larger portioned pieces sometimes uses more of the anemones energy than it receives in return from eating that large piece.

Back
Top Bottom