Supplements to a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I have starting a reef tank. I have my Live Rock and now I am thinking about what I have to do to grow the corals and stuff on it.

1 do I have to add supplements?
If yes what. And what is the best way to do it?

2 I know you need calcium and can get reactors for that but I really
do not have the money to get one yet (may be after I get my tax
rebate check).

3 So then is my only choice to drip?

4 Can I do what I did for the FW is add one cap full every week (for like
the plant fertilizer). And if I have to drip can I mix all the additives
together and drip out of one unit?

5 Any thing else I need to know about growing corals (I know about the
light and the water conditions and the water movement) but any
thing else I need to know about besides that?

1 do I have to add supplements?
If yes what. And what is the best way to do it?
The only thing that Ever should need to be added you be a CA and Alk Balance weather it be thru Kalk or a 2 part suplement that Is up to the need and personal experience..
I know you need calcium and can get reactors for that but I really
do not have the money to get one yet (may be after I get my tax
rebate check).
you really dont need a CA reactor unless you are planning on doing a Large tank with alot of Calcium Dependant Items..
Can I do what I did for the FW is add one cap full every week (for like
the plant fertilizer). And if I have to drip can I mix all the additives
together and drip out of one unit?
You can drip Kalk for supplementing CA and ALk.. There is many topics here about dripping Kalk Just do a search on Kalk and you should kind some stuff.. Or you can use the 2 Part Ca and Alk balance such as ESV Bi onic or C balance.. I think there is a few others out there but those are the only ones that come to mind..
Any thing else I need to know about growing corals (I know about the
light and the water conditions and the water movement) but any
thing else I need to know about besides that?
SPS Demand Extremely High Quality water and a Mature Tank to thrive.. As long as you got the water Quality, Lights , Water Movement and needed CA and Alk in balance everything should be fine..

HTH<
James

AS a general rule you dont want to dose anything you dont activly test for. After all how do you know if you need it if you dont test for it and know what the proper level for that particular trace element should be.

For a fish only tank or a small reef (limited number of corals) dosing your tank is not needed as long as you do regular water changes. The new saltwater will have the trace elements needed to replentish the system. As your coral load increases or if your one of those people who likes to see how long they can go between water changes then you will need to dose some things to keep your tank healthy in apperance.

thank you. you all have been a vary big help. i was going to go to the LFS to see how i could spend the tax rebate check and i was thinking about maybe buying a CA reactor but now i think i will buy some livestock (when the thank is ready)

Back
Top Bottom