Supplies and parts needed for a marine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am placing an order with TFP (www.thatfishplace.com) soon for marine supplies. Currently my new 10g tank is cycling with about 13 pounds of live rock on 15 pounds of Arag-Alive Reef Sand, 1 to 2mm in size. I am using a AC 301 powerhead for water movement and a AC Mini running with carbon and sponge.

The AC 301 is going to end up in a bucket of salt water keeping it mixed and I will use a Mini Jet 404 in the tank. The AC Mini is likely not going to get used in the tank, I am going to use a AC 300 as a refugium. I already have a bunch of salt mix, Amquel, 50 watt heater, and a hydrometer. Here is what I am thinking about getting for supplies:

Refugium and water movement:
-Aqua Clear 70 Power Filter (Old 300) (Hagen) $21.49
-Aqua Clear Surface Skimmer (Hagen) $10.49
-Mini Jet 404 Pump (Aq. Systems) $12.49

Water additives and testing:
-Superbuffer dKH 250gm (Kent) $4.79
-Kalkwasser Mix 100gm (Kent) $4.99
-Laborette Test Kit (Tetra) $13.89
-Nitrate Test Kit (Tetra) $7.49

Food for filter feeders and two clownfish I will have eventually:
-Formula One Marine Pellets Small 3.5oz(Ocean Nut.) $5.29
-Formula Two Marine Pellet - Sm 3.5oz (Ocean Nut.) $5.29
-Brine Shrimp 0.42oz (Hikari) $3.99
-Phytoplex Phytoplankton 8oz (Kent) $6.29
-Micro Vert 8oz Invert Food (Kent) $5.99

Lighting:
-20" Aqualight (Salt) w/28W Lamp Sq Pin (ESU) $38.99
-4 Mounting Legs For the Aqualight (ESU) $8.99
-Aqualight 3/4W LED (ESU) $12.99

Some stuff to keep the inside and outside of the tank clean:
-Pro Scraper - 12" Long (Kent) $11.99
-Aquamop Pro Scraper Attachment (Kent) $7.49
-Safe & Easy Aquarium Cleaner 8oz (Aq. Pharm.) $3.59

If anyone has any idea of stuff I am forgetting or anything that can make my life easier, let me know :)

reef6.jpg

A fuge as small as a HOB filter really won't help much, and is gonna have so much flow, I'm not sure it can really work all that well.
I'm still a noob, so I may be wrong, but I know others have tried to use a HOB filter as a fuge, and had little to no success.

I understand why you want it...a 10gal marine tank is gonna be a pain to keep stable, but the extra 16 oz of water in that AC won't amount to squat.

A fuge as small as a HOB filter really won't help much

An AC500 hold over a gallon of water. I am going with the 300 which is roughly more than half a gallon.

and is gonna have so much flow, I'm not sure it can really work all that well.

The flow is adjustable. It is actually really common to use AC filters as fuges since they are cheap and easy to modify:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=ad5ad4c60a98d0abc8fe8bd91c0bdcb5&forumid=27

I'm still a noob, so I may be wrong, but I know others have tried to use a HOB filter as a fuge, and had little to no success.

See above link :)

Pic:

FUGE1.jpg

9623fuge.jpg

I understand why you want it...a 10gal marine tank is gonna be a pain to keep stable, but the extra 16 oz of water in that AC won't amount to squat.

I want the fuge to give pods/stars/whatever a safe breeding area, along with housing a big ball of nitrate eating macro algae to keep O2 levels up during the night. The increase in water is a bonus, but nothing I am counting on to make my tank stable.

Back
Top Bottom