Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2003, 11:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to AngelFishFan
How much? Would you have a rough idea of how much they would cost? It may be more expensive, but much easier in the long run, and less damage to the permanent structure of the house.

Old 11-25-2003, 11:22 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not exactly sure of price. i would call around to your localrental places and see if anyone sells used ones. cost will depend on the amount of weight you need to hold.

the ones i am used to are the type you turn and the body of the brace goes up, kinda like a car jack. very easy.

mark

Old 11-25-2003, 01:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't spend the money on the floor jacks...It would be the exact same thing to brace the floor with a 4x4 or two 2x4's nailed together as Kevin said. If the weight is distributed over the joists and it is on an outside wall as was mentioned, all you would need to do would be to wedge the 4x4 support between the floor and the basement. You might even want to get a 2x6 and cut it so it will fit between the joists (nailed in place) snug against the underside of the subfloor, and wedge that 4x4 in the middle of the span, that way it will support the entire span. If you bought a floor jack, you wouldn't be cementing it to the ground, the 4x4 would be doing the same thing just as well and it won't cost more than a few bucks! Good luck
Old 11-25-2003, 02:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to AngelFishFan
Thank you! I will surely try that out! Thanks all for help in this topic!
Old 11-26-2003, 12:27 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to alarmguy66 Send a message via Yahoo to alarmguy66
I dont want to seem overly optimistic here, but look at it this way. A 1400 lb load spread evenly over 4 feet will rest on 4 floor joists (assuming 16" centers). That spreads the weight over those joists to roughly 350 lb per joist, based on the reasoning that youre stand has a flat bottom roughly the same size os the tank, and not 4 legs. Would you worry about a 300 lb person walking into youre house? To get more dramatic, how about that person bouncing up and down on one foot? That would certainly be more damaging. What you CANNOT do is put the tank lengthwise over one floor joist. this would certainly create a sag in the floor at best.

That being said, I would still recommend building a load bearing wall (better yet a room, Hint) under the floor joists that will be bearing the weights, but its not a high tech structure. Nail a pressure treated 2x4 to the floor nail a header up and toe nail your 2x4's in tight. Nail a firestop in between each vertical 2x4 to prevent them from bowing and you are done.

Personally, this seems like the best reason Ive ever heard for having a room in the basement for your filtration and a sump.

I'd be glad to get more detailed if you think it would help.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com