Surface film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
On the surface of my tank is a layer of some sort of film, which bubbles are sticking to. If you put a finger into the tank the film spreads away from your. What is causing this film? Should I do a water change?

Thanks

Possible chemical contamination from your room maybe? Definitely need more water circulation at the surface. Maybe point one of your powerheads at the surface.

ok thanks, I guess its time to put a powerhead in there. But wont there be too much current? Its only a 20 gallon tall and already has a prism skimmer and an emperor 280 on it.

A good rule of thumb is that there really shouldn't be any water not moving on the surface. I had a 20 tall running with a Skilter and a powerhead and ended up adding another powerhead just cutting the surface. It got rid of that stagnent film like your talking about. Or could you reposition the Emperor to get more agitation on the top...just a thought.

The film is likly a collection of DOC's in the water. Are you running a skimmer? If so do you have a surface skimmer to take water from the top of the tank? Ways to lower this film would be as follows:

Water change
Reduce feeding levels
Reduce stocking levels
Increase water circulation at the surface
Install a surface skimmer to skim off the film before it can collect

Back
Top Bottom