surface foam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank keeps on getting a ton micro bubbles on the surface of the water, it looks like white foam. what Causes this and how do I get rid of it? i have just been scooping it out but it builds up quick. There are no fish or inverts in the tank yet, only LR and LS.

One of my tanks (seahorse tank that is high in nutrients) gets that every time I clean my remora HOT protein skimmer. The LFS explanation that makes sense to me is that more bubbles make it through the skimmer and into the tank after I break up the biofilm that coats the inside of the skimmer. I siphon it when I do a water change and in a week it goes away.

ohhh... its basically brown water. It isnt thick and I have gotten about three quarters of an inch in a week and a half.

Skimmate is the gunk your Prism Protein Skimmer should be collecting if it is setup right....the bubbles should be working their way up into the collection container at the top of the skimmer.

do you have the intake hooked up to a surface skimmer? ( i don't know the prizim set up)
If not a smal film can build up on the watersurface and bubbles will stick to it.

The tank has been running for 3 weeks with the skimmer running the whole time. So i guess i just have to play around with it some more. Do these bubbles or foam, in any way be dangerous to fish? Sounds like a dumb question but I just want to make sure.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom