Surface Oily HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have tried everything to get this film off my surface. I have pretty good surface aggitation and I can't get rid of this film. No I dont have a overflow to a sump. My Landlord won't have a added tank since I'm on the second floor. What can I do?

2gsjzwg.jpg

Hob filter with a surface skimmer. All the skimming benefits of an overflow without the extra weight.

I hooked up a surface skimmer to my HOB and it works wonders. It worked on my 20 gallon reef. Don't know the size of your tank though.

OK, I have found that I also had oily residue on my sump tank. The main tank was recently containing oily residue and no matter how much surface agitation.... Still oily.. Today I decided to go a little further than just the weekly water change.. I changed the filter sock and instantly the oily surface was GONE.. I therefore can only recommend that you maintain a strict habit of cleaning your filters and whatever keeps your water clean and I am positive that your oily residue will be a thing of the past.. I have two tanks and I find that the tank I have at work, that does not get looked after as carefully as the one at home is the one that starts to have issues..

Tank - 1 - OFFICE

Aquascape - initial setup March 2014 and then rescape August 2014

CADE Tank 800 x 800 x 600 - 320 litre

Sump filtration - Long noodles, 3 Layers Filter Pads. Carbon

UVIEW sterilizer

CO2 with inline reactor

ADA fertilising

ADA soil setup

RAZOR LED lighting

Twinstar

Tank - 2 - HOME

Juwel 120 litre tank - setup Dec - 2010

Fluval 406, cannister

Inline reactor c02, compressed

LED lighting

The oil on top of the water is excess gunk in the water column that needs to be removed. Increasing surface tension is one way of assisting it going away...but if it isn't being removed by filtration or water changes, it is still there even if you can't see it. This can be why ensuring that your filters are changed or cleaned on a regular basis can have an effect on seeing such...if the filter is clogged up with gunk how can it continue to do its job?

Agree

Tank - 1 - OFFICE

UVIEW sterilizer

CO2 with inline reactor

ADA fertilising

ADA soil setup

RAZOR LED lighting

Twinstar

Tank - 2 - HOME

Fluval 406, cannister

LED lighting

What type of food are you feeding? I found that certain foods cause this. Also someone mentioned a paper towel. It works. Turn off your pumps and slowly dip the paper towel into the water. When you pull it out it will pull the oil out. But you need to find the cause. I bet it's your food.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

YEP, I had a look at the food and it is labelled - oils and fats, there you go as well - will replace the food, if you have any recommended food brands and types please advise

Tank - 1 - OFFICE

UVIEW sterilizer

CO2 with inline reactor

ADA fertilising

ADA soil setup

RAZOR LED lighting

Twinstar

Tank - 2 - HOME

Fluval 406, cannister

LED lighting

I use new life spectrum Thera + a. You can pick the size pellet. Oil went away when I started using this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom