Surge wave simulation .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been reading about gas exchange and proper circulation and something came up I have always wanted to do and thought it looked amazing .
A surge system .
Essentially a 5 gallon bucket above your display that releases a surge of water when a desired volume is reached ,
Has anyone used this ?
What would you recommend as a DIY setup ?

My algae scrubber uses something like that. I have a two gallon dump bucket that unloads every 13 seconds. It creates a wave over the algae and causes it to grow very thick.

My algae scrubber uses something like that. I have a two gallon dump bucket that unloads every 13 seconds. It creates a wave over the algae and causes it to grow very thick.

Did you make it or purchase it ?
I'm looking for ideas , I site with a few different sketched ideas ,
Keep in mind I only have a 70 gal

Probably overkill on a 70, but sure, you can do it. There are several excellent ideas on YouTube. The video of mine is pretty crummy as this thing is over 20 years old.

Probably overkill on a 70, but sure, you can do it. There are several excellent ideas on YouTube. The video of mine is pretty crummy as this thing is over 20 years old.

I saw a few that looked like a plumbing nightmare ,
The sump in a basement , the display on the next floor ,
And a tank that has the same idea as a toilet with a float and plug ,

I have seen some wave makers in youtube that looks like the tank is being swing from side to side. The wave is too large and unproportionate to the tank. I think smaller but more ripples at the surface is more effective and pleasing to the eyes.

I have seen some wave makers in youtube that looks like the tank is being swing from side to side. The wave is too large and unproportionate to the tank. I think smaller but more ripples at the surface is more effective and pleasing to the eyes.

I saw one that was a huge square on top that when filled with water it would fall and spill into the tank .

That's where I originally got this idea .
I think buckets hanging above the display would look kinda ghetto ,

If I have to make a DIY wave maker, I would just use a paddle partially submerged at one end of tank driven by a very slow and adjustable speed motor with a crankshaft similar to the wheel of a train engine. The paddle would just sway back and forth creating ripples to the surface.

If I have to make a DIY wave maker, I would just use a paddle partially submerged at one end of tank driven by a very slow and adjustable speed motor with a crankshaft similar to the wheel of a train engine. The paddle would just sway back and forth creating ripples to the surface.

Wouldn't water spilling or dumping in be more realistic ?

A wave maker will create a surge without all the mechanical issues, but a proper dump system does more than just create a surge.

Back
Top Bottom