SW Aquarium Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Second the vote for Fenner and the The Conscientious Marine Aquarist book.

I know off-topic and I do agree with you. People would be surprised as to the information available to the lfs'. I have yet to find a wholesaler or transhipper that doesn't have scientific names and collection information on-hand (usually required for collection), but do not use them for ordering purposes because most retailers prefer to use common names. However, that is not an excuse for aquarists to not learn and practice them either.

The 'Aquarium Corals' by Borneman is my favorite choice, but 'The Reef Aquarium' series by Delbeek & Sprung are still considered bibles of reefkeeping. Perhaps some methods are outdated, but valuable information nonetheless.

Some especially useful, albeit scientific books included, that I recommend are:

"Soft Corals and Sea Fans," by Fabriscius & Alderslade
"Corals of the World," by Veron - Mainly Scleractinians.
"Fish Disease," by Noga
"Clownfishes," by Wilkerson
"Fish Health," by Andrews, Exell, and Carrington
"Seahorses, Pipefishes and their relatives," by Kuiter
"Cephalopods," by Dunlop & King

Books from Scott Michael and Rudie Kuiter are good identification guides for fish.

Websites you can use are:

Fish: Search FishBase
Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information - previously given to you.
Centropyge angel, dwarf angelfish, pygmy angels
CoralRealm - Reef Fish, Sharks, Rays & Invertebrates - Scott Michael's fish site.
http://www.aims.gov.au/index.html
ReefBase :: A Global Information System For Coral Reefs

I second James's reccomendation of "The Reef Aquarium" volumes 1-3. I have purchased all three and while somewhat on the expensive side they are by the far the best resources I have as far as books go !

Back
Top Bottom