sw methods of doing a water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lamaseta17

Aquarium Advice Regular
so im a rookie lol, i have crushed coral and was wondering whats he best way to do water changes, i use a shovel-nose vacum and a 5lb bucket which ways the best

You`ll find out that there are a hundred and one ways to do one. Mine I just make 5 gallon buckets of SW and siphon out the old and pour in the new. Simple but hard work. I need to do like other and employ a Power head.

place powerhead in bucket of water - add salt mix - let age - siphon out 5 gallons aquarium water - attach hose to pwerhead and push water back into tank!

As melosu says....there's a ton of ways folks do water changes. I guess whatever works for you is the best. For example....I mix my water up in a plastic garbage can (15 gallons for each pwc) that is about 10 feet away from my tank. Throw in the ro/di water, salt, heater and power head into the garbage can. The next day I do my testing and check the temp and if everything is ok, I start the water change. I get a 5 gallon bucket and take my power head and plastic tubing and put it in my sump. (I do 5 gallons at a time) The powerhead pumps the water into the 5 gallon 'waste' container (from my sump). I do this 3 more times. I then switch the powerhead over to the 'new' water (plastic garbage can) and let the powerhead pump it into the sump.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing. I'd be interested in seeing how other folks do theirs.....perhaps I can trim off a few minutes.

HTH

I use a 32 gallon plastic trash can with wheels.

Depends on how big your tank is. My water changes are quite simple, because I have a 40 gallon tank. I just siphon out 5 gallons, and replace it with fresh catalina saltwater (after testing of course). I do this once or twice a week, depending...
I would suggest powerheads for bigger tanks.

I do same as the other guys mentioned, I siphon water out of the tank into the tub (too far from the door to go outside) and then use a powerhead to get water from a 5gallon bucket into the tank.

I do this the same for my freshwater tank, but PWCs on that tank consist of25 gallons or so, so I just put the bucket under the tap in the bathtub and keep water going into it.

But I won't use tap water like that for my SW tank, only RO/DI

Back
Top Bottom