SW Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One theory - too many sand sifters? Might be stripping the sand bed bare of any micro fauna. But I'd also recommend the Red Sea Pro test kits. Get the multi NO3/PO4 kit to save some bucks and some space on the shelf.

I had heard of needing to divide api nitrate results by 4.4 also. I used to use API to test for nitrates, and they were always 20-40, then I would cross check the same water with my Red Sea kit and it would be 5-10. Did this on multiple occasions. So it does seem as though the API results do need to be divided by 4. So I stopped using the API, and only use Red Sea now.

What's the price difference between THE API and EASY?

Red sea nitrate kit is between $33 and $45 depending on where you get it. Well worth the money. I'll never use API for anything but ammonia,nitrite and ph.

Red sea nitrate kit is between $33 and $45 depending on where you get it. Well worth the money. I'll never use API for anything but ammonia,nitrite and ph.

I agree! Just got a Red Sea nitrate kit last week, I'm sold!

I had initially bought a Red Sea master kit a while back, that was $50 for the master kit. I've noticed that Petco doesn't sell those anymore, though. I ordered the red sea nitrate pro test with a group buy, it was about $31-35. API is about $10, I think. It costs more, but with all the fish and coral in there, the added expense is worth it for me, if I can get accurate results.

"Red Sea Algae Control Multi Test Kit (NO3/PO4)" is just $49.99 at BRS. Each kit separately is $34.99. I'm already wishing I hadn't bought just the NO3 kit alone.

- D

I had heard of needing to divide api nitrate results by 4.4 also. I used to use API to test for nitrates, and they were always 20-40, then I would cross check the same water with my Red Sea kit and it would be 5-10. Did this on multiple occasions. So it does seem as though the API results do need to be divided by 4. So I stopped using the API, and only use Red Sea now.

Iv used red sea before, im thinking id better switch tests brands then.

One theory - too many sand sifters? Might be stripping the sand bed bare of any micro fauna. But I'd also recommend the Red Sea Pro test kits. Get the multi NO3/PO4 kit to save some bucks and some space on the shelf.

There was 3 sand sifters in the tank, we moved the smallest to our seahorse tank, but I dont see how sand sifter, (whom clean the sand bed) would make the proble worse, they move the sand but I dont see that being the problem.

We payed 12$ for individual api tests and 30$ for api multi kit, but we also have a good saltwater dealer.

I had initially bought a Red Sea master kit a while back, that was $50 for the master kit. I've noticed that Petco doesn't sell those anymore, though. I ordered the red sea nitrate pro test with a group buy, it was about $31-35. API is about $10, I think. It costs more, but with all the fish and coral in there, the added expense is worth it for me, if I can get accurate results.

Yes its deff worth it :) we had used red sea before and we paid about 75$ for the full multi kit

"Red Sea Algae Control Multi Test Kit (NO3/PO4)" is just $49.99 at BRS. Each kit separately is $34.99. I'm already wishing I hadn't bought just the NO3 kit alone.

- D

It also depends on where ur from, here in canada Id imagine its more expensive. lol

Back
Top Bottom