Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

One theory - too many sand sifters? Might be stripping the sand bed bare of any micro fauna. But I'd also recommend the Red Sea Pro test kits. Get the multi NO3/PO4 kit to save some bucks and some space on the shelf.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
I had heard of needing to divide api nitrate results by 4.4 also. I used to use API to test for nitrates, and they were always 20-40, then I would cross check the same water with my Red Sea kit and it would be 5-10. Did this on multiple occasions. So it does seem as though the API results do need to be divided by 4. So I stopped using the API, and only use Red Sea now.
What's the price difference between THE API and EASY?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Red sea nitrate kit is between $33 and $45 depending on where you get it. Well worth the money. I'll never use API for anything but ammonia,nitrite and ph.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
Red sea nitrate kit is between $33 and $45 depending on where you get it. Well worth the money. I'll never use API for anything but ammonia,nitrite and ph.
I agree! Just got a Red Sea nitrate kit last week, I'm sold!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had initially bought a Red Sea master kit a while back, that was $50 for the master kit. I've noticed that Petco doesn't sell those anymore, though. I ordered the red sea nitrate pro test with a group buy, it was about $31-35. API is about $10, I think. It costs more, but with all the fish and coral in there, the added expense is worth it for me, if I can get accurate results.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

"Red Sea Algae Control Multi Test Kit (NO3/PO4)" is just $49.99 at BRS. Each kit separately is $34.99. I'm already wishing I hadn't bought just the NO3 kit alone.

- D
Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezkk View Post
I use the individual right now but I still have the booklet from my original sw kit.
Okay Iv tryed both.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedogz View Post
My nitrates were always high also for some reason around 80 with the vinegar they are now 0

How exaclty do you do your dosing with the vinegar>?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
I had heard of needing to divide api nitrate results by 4.4 also. I used to use API to test for nitrates, and they were always 20-40, then I would cross check the same water with my Red Sea kit and it would be 5-10. Did this on multiple occasions. So it does seem as though the API results do need to be divided by 4. So I stopped using the API, and only use Red Sea now.
Iv used red sea before, im thinking id better switch tests brands then.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_chuwish View Post
One theory - too many sand sifters? Might be stripping the sand bed bare of any micro fauna. But I'd also recommend the Red Sea Pro test kits. Get the multi NO3/PO4 kit to save some bucks and some space on the shelf.

There was 3 sand sifters in the tank, we moved the smallest to our seahorse tank, but I dont see how sand sifter, (whom clean the sand bed) would make the proble worse, they move the sand but I dont see that being the problem.

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com