Swapping Damsels for Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reese

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have 5 damsels in my tank and I'm nearing the end of my cycle. I plan on bringing back the damsels to the LFS. I'd like to add two clowns (percs) and a yellow tang to the tank once the tank is cycled. Should I start out with only the clowns and wait a week or would it be alright to introduce all three at the same time?

I'm not impatient or anything. I'm just wondering if it would be best to replace the current population with one closer in size and if bringing them in togethor would be better from a social standpoint. Or is it best to just bring in the clowns and wait?

Also, I really like my black and white striped damsel. Nobody messes with him and he's sort of a benevolent ruler even though he's not the biggest fish in the tank. If I quarantine him, do you think it's worth it to try and reintroduce him to the tank once the clowns have been moved in the rock rearranged? Or am I just asking for a bunch of nipped clown fins?

I cant help you with the other stuff, but I think if you have the damsel seperate in a QT tank for a few days after your clowns are in the new tank, the clowns will fell safter, and have territory established, and also by moving the rocks the damsel would not know what happened and think he came to a new home, so I doubt it would bother the clowns.

thanks.

Anyone else see any problem with introducing two clowns and a yellow tang at the same time?

you usually want to introduce tangs as the last fish at they tend to be territorial. if it were my tank i would take the damels back pic up the two clowns and put them in your tank for a week or two. i would assume your bioload wouldnt have a problem since you already had 5 fish in their. but just to make sure i would wait a week or two to let that stablize and let the clown fish settle in. then add you tang last to the tank. i have a salfin tang with a clown fish and never had a problem and i introduced them this way. just remeber that tangs are dirty fish and produce more waste than others and are eating machines, mine would eat all day if i let him. i will assume your already now they can get big and require greens not just flake food to keep the tang heatlhy and good color ??
but their alot of fun !!! enjoy

thanks flame82.

That makes sense. I was concerned about a drastic drop in the bioload. But I'm sure that that's not any concern compared to increasing the bioload too quickly.

I'm aware of the tang's eating habits and growth rate. I'm interested in buying a smaller/younger yellow tang. Right now I have a 29 gallon tank but I'm not far away from starting a 75 or 100 gallon tank on the other side of the room. So soon enough the yellow tang and a few other compatible fish will reside there.

Back
Top Bottom