swapping sand tomorrow and need help how to

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferman

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all,
I just got ten pounds of base rock and two 22 lb. bags of Nature Ocean's Live Aragonite Sand. I wanted to know how to put the stuff in my tank. All i know is that i dont want to stir it up because all the good bacteria inside can be depleted.

TIA

P-MAN

I suggest you get a trash bag unscented and put it on it then pick the trash bag up with the sand on it an place it in your tank make sure it sinks slowly then once it is at the bottom slowly remove the trash bag from under it there will be a slight stir up but not really that is how I put the sand in my tank when it was full of water.

Another option is to get a large zip-lock style plastic bag. Fill it with sand and cut a hole in the corner. This way you can put the bag close to the substrate and it will run out the hole, you can direct it where ever you need it. I just added about 10lbs of LS to my tank this way and it did not cloud the water or cause a dust storm at all.

Another option is to get a large zip-lock style plastic bag.

As Lando suggested, this was the easiest way to add without stiring up too much. If you have good filtration, the cloudiness will go away rather quickly.

Mike

When I added sand to my tank I found that I had a lot of shallow areas that I needed to get so a large cup from the kitchen work well for me. although my wife didn't care the Idea!

Well I have always been told never use anything that has had soap on it by my local retailer...I would suggest using an unused plastic cup. Also what meathod of adding the sand to your tank did you use? Is it sand or crushed coral. 0X

Back
Top Bottom