Swapping to a bigger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christian7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys...and ladies.

I have a 30g SW tank with Fish, crabs, snails, zooas, polyps, and a few soft corals. I just bought a 60g tank and i need to make the swap. What should one do with the old water, and sand. I know i will need to add more rock and sand, but do I just switch all my water and old sand over and add a new 25gl of premixed SW. I will be using my old filter and adding a new protien skimmer, so Im hoping to get this done quickly.

Will there be another required cycle time. God I hope not. Having both running isnt an option for me.

Please help
Christiaan

How long has the 30 been running? You'll need to use all new sand if your tank has been running for a while. When you stir up the sand, you'll release the nasty stuff and start a mini cycle.

the tank has been up for about 8 months or so. Total sand swap is best?

Can someone please refer me to an old thread or a forum that may cover some of my questions?

I really need some advice by this weekend Thanks.:-(

I recently moved my 29g to a 55g. I left the old sand and started with new sand to avoid the stirring up of nitrates. I moved some of the water but not alot. It was like one big water change. I didn't see a mini cycle or anything.

good luck, hope that helped

Yes that is the kind of thing I wanted to hear. Thanks for the info. About how much old water did you use?

thanks again
Christian

Do I need to go with the live sand in a bag or is about 40lbs of agronite fine. (its a bit cheaper)

thanks again for your input. Its appreciated

I'd go for regular argranite the live sand in a bag is sketchy. LOL I bought it for my tank but can't vouch for it. I'd also go for as close to 60lbs as you can 40lbs might be a bit light

I would use as much of the old water as you can (that you can keep unclouded) as long as its not to much work to get it to the new tank. It has no value to the new tank other than all the livestock are acclimated to it, it will make the new home easier for them. If it is a tall tank 40lbs of sand may be enough (dont get live sand). Add your current live rock then get some more over time (base rock from reefcleaners is good stuff, looks good too, plus free shipping if you get 30lbs). Search the bowl trick for adding water and you wont get such a cloudy mess. Good luck and enjoy the extra room.

Depends on what youre looking for. Some people like a deeper sand bed and use more. Usually a good rule of thumb is 1 lb per gallon. I have been using that rule myself.

Ahh it's a tall 60g? I'd say 60lbs would be a nice deeper bed then. 50lbs might be a better choice. Sorry, didnt know it was a tall lol

Yea I do 1lb/gallon as well, I would get the fine type (like sugar)

Back
Top Bottom