Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-25-2005, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Switching CC to live sand

I've started to realize the drawbacks of CC when my nitrates were high last week. So I'm definitely trying to come up with a plan to add sand with some crushed shells. So what would be the best way to undertake this adjustment without risking the lives of my fish?

29g FOWLR- 2 Percula Clowns
2 Emerald Mithrax Crab, 5 Nassarius Snails, 3 Astrea Snails, 1 mexican turbo snails, 1 Chocolate Chip Star, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, and 27lbs of LR 2lbs tonga branch and 25lbs fiji rock

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Check out the articles section there is some info on changing your substrate. I think it suggests replacing half of the subsrate letting it sit to allow the bacteria from the current cc to seed it. The change out the other half. Check out the article for more information.

143gadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you are paranoid like i always am you can do the change out in 3 steps to help prevent any sort of spike in your tank

I've also heard of people filling a nylon or something similar with the crush coral and leaving that in there for a while to seed the and so it would be easier to remove later. I have never tried this so i dont know how well it works

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."
—Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000
ClamKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
how do you remove all your substrate without moving all your rock work? I too would like to remove my cc and replace it with argonite sand.
55 gal FOWLR
Euro-reef 5-2 skimmer, 29 gallon sump
3x penguin 1140 ph
2x65 10,000K and 2x65 03 Acintic
40lbs cc/30lbs argonite sand mixture
80lbs keys rock (www.liverocks.com awesome stuff)
25lbs fiji/tonga lr
10lbs lace base rock (now hapily live with lots of coraline growth)
lziarek is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com