Switching Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeamTrash

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I first got my tank I only had a hang on filter. About two weeks ago I set up a new canister filter. Now both filters are running. I'm wondering when I can remove the old filter. The tank is 28 gallon w/ 30 lbs of live rock (I'm assuming that all the rock is live after three months). I don't want to remove the old filter and cause an ammonia spike, but I'm wondering if the bacterias on the rocks and sand will be enough...

TeamTrash said:
When I first got my tank I only had a hang on filter. About two weeks ago I set up a new canister filter. Now both filters are running. I'm wondering when I can remove the old filter. The tank is 28 gallon w/ 30 lbs of live rock (I'm assuming that all the rock is live after three months). I don't want to remove the old filter and cause an ammonia spike, but I'm wondering if the bacterias on the rocks and sand will be enough...

I would suggest keeping the filter on for at least 2 weeks for a fw tank, but i am not sure if a sw tank is any different due to the rock. Why take it off? I personalywould leave it on for a month. Better safe than sorry:)

Back
Top Bottom