Switching from planted tank to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heartsx2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon low-light planted tank that I want to switch over to saltwater (I will start from scratch). I have several Marine books I am reading but I'm getting confused on the lighting and filtration needs. I plan to make this a fish and invertebrates tank.

I currently have a Magnum 350 on the tank that I may or may not keep using? I also have a coralife 6700k & colormax light (2 strips 18 W each). Which BTW seems to warm up my water too much. I am going to use live rock and maybe live sand. What filter(s) or lighting should I add?

Thank you!

If you do not plan on having any light-dependant inverts then what yo have is just fine. For filtration I would look into LR and a skimmer. That is really all you need.

I may go with inverts that require more lighting. I also thought LR needs higher lighting than what I have?

The lr will do fine under that lighting as for corals you would need to get something different. If i'm correct on the 29 gal that takes a 30 inch light which coralife makes a 30 in 130wt lunar aqualight for 179.00 at www.liveaquaria.com That would be perfect for alot of the soft corals and maybe some other kinds but i'm not to familier with them. With that light and about 50lbs of lr and a good skimmer you would be set for when your tank is ready for those corals.

I've decided to skip the corals for now and just do live rock, inverts, and a few fish. I have the Magnum 350 canister filter and I'm going to add a protein skimmer and powerhead. Should I add a hang on back filter like an Emporer or AquaClear or am I good with just the canister, skimmer, and powerhead? Also, is carbon 'ever' needed in this type of setup or can I go without? Thanks...

I just use the Magnum 350 conister with a coralife skimer and 2 maxijet-1200 PH. Everything is crystal clear :-D I dont think u need to get another HOB filter IMO

HTH

Back
Top Bottom