Switching from Tap to RO/DI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TKEON230

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, after a year of watching my 40 gallon FOWLR fill up will all sorts of dull colored algae I've decided that I just have to splurge on a RO/DI unit. I was just wondering what happens to all of the algae that is in there now? Will it just eventually disappear, or will it die and sit on the bottom waiting for me to scoop it out? Also, I have some pretty nifty looking green macro-algae that's growing on my live rock, will switching to RO/DI water kill that too? I don't know what it is called, but it kinda looks like underwater clovers if that makes any sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Hard to say without a pic, but it sounds like you maybe have some Halimeda growing. That's a calciferous algae and grows under conditions similar to coraline. It should not be affected much by going to RO water.

It will eventually die out as you will eliminate some of the fuel source. When you do a PWC rubberband a toothbrush on the end of the hose and gently scrub rock and water suction will draw out most of it. Next PWC do the same thing and eventually it will disapear. Good Luck

Thank you for your help! I've found out that the green algae I was referring to was actually caulerpa. Will using RO/DI water get rid of that as well?

Calerpa is actually good for your tank as it will use up the nutrients that feed the hair algea. There are several fish that will eat it if you want to get rid of it or just prune it your self and sell it to someone who has a tang in their tank.

Did someone say caulerpa? I can not keep enough to feed my tangs. You could always start a fuge and put it in there. That would also help eliminate your algae problem.

I could probably start a caulerpa farm with the amount I have growing out of the top of my live rock. It seems to only grow directly below my lighting. I posted this picture on the ID thread to figure out what it was in the first place:
img_623490_0_9decece027fe2d0bac20f558de4ac07c.jpg

Yes I grow mine in the fuge and I`ll put a big ball of it in the main and it is gone in a few days. Them tangs are hogs.

Back
Top Bottom