Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Switching hob filter for phosban reactor?

Yea I decided to keep the hob that's where I'll run my carbon...also ordered a jebao wp25 to replace my jbj 1600 Powerheads on a wavemaker (btw these jbj powerheads are crap) had them for about 6 months maybe longer hate them. Read a lot of good review and seem videos and my lfs has them and really like the features and the way the water moves with the jebaos

Old 02-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391814536.077334.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	221284here is what my tank looks like as of couple weeks ago had a minor cyano out break added a wrasse and a pair of ywg so had a heavy feeding weekend to make sure they were eating and comfortable

Old 02-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok got I got it hooked up. Now my question is about tumble? What's a good tumble for gfo? Here is a video is this a good tumble? Or do I need less or more flow? It's fluidized on the top with some areas of dancing which I imagine is just because it's still breaking in and then it will become more even throughout?

http://youtu.be/37ahiFLzhsk
Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'm at work and can't check out your video...but in terms of tumbling GFO it is easy. You know what a low boil looks like when you are trying to make Mac n' Cheese? That look right as the boil begins is what you are looking for.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I think I got my gfo tumbling at a good soft boil and got my Hanna phosphate tester yesterday and tested water got a 0 phosphate read and the brown algae is disappearing...i did not get the gfo because of the algae just got it to keep phosphates in check...I believe the algae issue was because my leds were not high enough...since I've raised them about 4 to 6 inches no more of it has grown
Old 02-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Switching hob filter for phosban reactor?

Did you remove your hob filter? How is your nitrates level?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

nitrates are at 0 or around 0 according to the red sea tester at least, kept the hob filter i run tlf hydracarbon 2 through it.

been thinking of adding another reactor to run biopellets through it but will wait to a couple of months to let my system get used to gfo and also to see how just the gfo does. Again i dont have any param issues just like the idea that can limit issues
Old 02-13-2014, 02:32 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright so everything was going great til my cobalt mj600 started sending electricity through the tank like I mean I couldn't even put a finger in the water...all my fish and corals seem fine besides my six line he's swimming back and forth like crazy I hope he recovers...I noticed because my clown wasn't sleeping in his anemone I unplugged all and it was the cobalt doing the harm. So after I call and complain to dr foster and smith because the pump came with my phosban reactor I want to ask for a smaller pump was wondering because the cobalt is too strong i had to have the ball valve barely open and it made the pump vibrate. So what is a good in tank small pump for a phosban 150 running 55 grams of phosban media. Also no water or anything that could of caused this just a faulty pump I believe
Old 02-13-2014, 05:42 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so further investigating there is actually water coming out of the plug!!! I'm lost for words...it's leaking through one of the prongs has anyone even heard of this? This has to be a joke I will never use a cobalt product again
Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is a pic of what I mean

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392284660.150074.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	222363

Tags
chi, filter, hob, hob filter, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com