Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2014, 01:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Switching hob filter for phosban reactor?

Hey guys,

So I just ordered the two little fishies phosban reactor 150 with the mj600. I also ordered two little fishies hydrocarbon and phosban. Now my question is can I just take off my hob filter and replace it with the phosban reactor or should I leave the hob filter on? I have a 55 gallon mixed reef that's been up for 3 years and no sump. Also can I run Carbon and phosban at the same time or should I switch month to month? Also this will be the first time I run phosban on my system do I have to do it in small amounts at first?

Thank you for any help and advice in advance

Old 01-30-2014, 02:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I hope you have luck with a phosban b/c i had mine for 2 months, it cracked and i upgraded. Many people have had success tho so maybe it was just me. Anyway yes you can run carbon and GFO ( the media for phosphate removal). But I would not recommended both in the same canister. They require different flow rates. Start out with the recommendation that will most likely be on the media container then go from there. I would ditch the HOB filter as IMO and hob filters on saltwater reefs are junk and hogging space. Invest in another reactor for biopellets or carbon and get yourself a high quality skimmer. I dont have a sump and this is my equipment list. Reef Octo BH-2000 skimmer, Next Reef MR 1 reactor (phosphate), JBJ ATO with BRS 50ml per min pump, 2BRS 1.1ml pumps for 2-part, also I have vega LED's, Jebao pumps and a Jšger Hearer. I have switched most of my equipment twice and think i got the best combination. Now I just have to add a Biopellet reactor and I'll be set.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

My system has been up for 3 years have a bh 2000 on it as well. It's an established reef just wanted to try some new equipment out and ditch the hob even though it has done well for 3 yrs. But this is my first reactor and just want to make sure I'm not to run into issues switching the two.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I were you i would still keep the HOB filter tho. I read about people without sumps turn them into small Refugiums for pod populations. How is your BH-2000 been treating you, seems like its the best HOB skimmer ever! I also added some mods to quiet it down, i made an acrylic square that fit on top of the drain area that stopped the gurgle and also added a dense fabric to the piping so the water would quiet. Almost have it whisper quiet. But keep updating the thread as we can always help along the way. Do you plan to run Carbon or GFO? And what brand are you looking at?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Switching hob filter for phosban reactor?

I got two little fishes hydrocarbon 2 gac and two little fishies phosban so I was thinking of starting with phosban then switching between the two every month until I get another reactor

Also I love the skimmer way better then the sea clone I had for the first couple yrs lol
Old 02-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright I got my phosban reactor today and going to set it up after work...was planning on doing half the recommended dosage of 55 grams so 22.5 for the first month then next change 75% then 100% the following? Is this good or can I just do the whole 55 grams right away?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Julian Sprung recommends using half dosage in the beginning. Some people lose fish when they go all out from the start. There is a good review of the reactor online. It might be by reef builders or another site.
I'm thinking about doing what you doing. Best way to measure things to to test water weekly and notice any changes for better or worse. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would keep the hang on filter as well as the reactor. The reactor is just an added piece of equipment, it wont replace what the hob filter does.

I happen to like the 2 little fishies reactor, they are one of the few that hasnt clogged for me.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea my tank is Params are good besides the occasional cyano outbreak when I get feeding happy when a new critter is placed in tank (gotta make sure they eat lol)...but figured that this really couldn't hurt...also ordered a Hanna phosphate tester today should be here Monday or Tuesday so I'll be able to test accurately for phosphates now if Hanna just made a affordable nitrate tester
Old 02-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The hanna testers are absolutely awesome! I use both the phosphate one and alkalinity ones. The calcium one is crap and is not very reliable at all plus its a pain to use. I returned mine to brs when I couldnt get an accurate reading.

Tags
chi, filter, hob, hob filter, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com