Switching hob filter for phosban reactor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

So I just ordered the two little fishies phosban reactor 150 with the mj600. I also ordered two little fishies hydrocarbon and phosban. Now my question is can I just take off my hob filter and replace it with the phosban reactor or should I leave the hob filter on? I have a 55 gallon mixed reef that's been up for 3 years and no sump. Also can I run Carbon and phosban at the same time or should I switch month to month? Also this will be the first time I run phosban on my system do I have to do it in small amounts at first?

Thank you for any help and advice in advance

Well I hope you have luck with a phosban b/c i had mine for 2 months, it cracked and i upgraded. Many people have had success tho so maybe it was just me. Anyway yes you can run carbon and GFO ( the media for phosphate removal). But I would not recommended both in the same canister. They require different flow rates. Start out with the recommendation that will most likely be on the media container then go from there. I would ditch the HOB filter as IMO and hob filters on saltwater reefs are junk and hogging space. Invest in another reactor for biopellets or carbon and get yourself a high quality skimmer. I dont have a sump and this is my equipment list. Reef Octo BH-2000 skimmer, Next Reef MR 1 reactor (phosphate), JBJ ATO with BRS 50ml per min pump, 2BRS 1.1ml pumps for 2-part, also I have vega LED's, Jebao pumps and a Jäger Hearer. I have switched most of my equipment twice and think i got the best combination. Now I just have to add a Biopellet reactor and I'll be set.

My system has been up for 3 years have a bh 2000 on it as well. It's an established reef just wanted to try some new equipment out and ditch the hob even though it has done well for 3 yrs. But this is my first reactor and just want to make sure I'm not to run into issues switching the two.

If I were you i would still keep the HOB filter tho. I read about people without sumps turn them into small Refugiums for pod populations. How is your BH-2000 been treating you, seems like its the best HOB skimmer ever! I also added some mods to quiet it down, i made an acrylic square that fit on top of the drain area that stopped the gurgle and also added a dense fabric to the piping so the water would quiet. Almost have it whisper quiet. But keep updating the thread as we can always help along the way. Do you plan to run Carbon or GFO? And what brand are you looking at?

I got two little fishes hydrocarbon 2 gac and two little fishies phosban so I was thinking of starting with phosban then switching between the two every month until I get another reactor

Also I love the skimmer way better then the sea clone I had for the first couple yrs lol

Alright I got my phosban reactor today and going to set it up after work...was planning on doing half the recommended dosage of 55 grams so 22.5 for the first month then next change 75% then 100% the following? Is this good or can I just do the whole 55 grams right away?

Julian Sprung recommends using half dosage in the beginning. Some people lose fish when they go all out from the start. There is a good review of the reactor online. It might be by reef builders or another site.
I'm thinking about doing what you doing. Best way to measure things to to test water weekly and notice any changes for better or worse. Good luck and keep us posted.

I would keep the hang on filter as well as the reactor. The reactor is just an added piece of equipment, it wont replace what the hob filter does.

I happen to like the 2 little fishies reactor, they are one of the few that hasnt clogged for me.
:)

Yea my tank is Params are good besides the occasional cyano outbreak when I get feeding happy when a new critter is placed in tank (gotta make sure they eat lol)...but figured that this really couldn't hurt...also ordered a Hanna phosphate tester today should be here Monday or Tuesday so I'll be able to test accurately for phosphates now if Hanna just made a affordable nitrate tester

The hanna testers are absolutely awesome! I use both the phosphate one and alkalinity ones. The calcium one is crap and is not very reliable at all plus its a pain to use. I returned mine to brs when I couldnt get an accurate reading.

Yea I decided to keep the hob that's where I'll run my carbon...also ordered a jebao wp25 to replace my jbj 1600 Powerheads on a wavemaker (btw these jbj powerheads are crap) had them for about 6 months maybe longer hate them. Read a lot of good review and seem videos and my lfs has them and really like the features and the way the water moves with the jebaos

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391814536.077334.jpghere is what my tank looks like as of couple weeks ago had a minor cyano out break added a wrasse and a pair of ywg so had a heavy feeding weekend to make sure they were eating and comfortable

Ok got I got it hooked up. Now my question is about tumble? What's a good tumble for gfo? Here is a video is this a good tumble? Or do I need less or more flow? It's fluidized on the top with some areas of dancing which I imagine is just because it's still breaking in and then it will become more even throughout?

http://youtu.be/37ahiFLzhsk

I'm at work and can't check out your video...but in terms of tumbling GFO it is easy. You know what a low boil looks like when you are trying to make Mac n' Cheese? That look right as the boil begins is what you are looking for.

Well I think I got my gfo tumbling at a good soft boil and got my Hanna phosphate tester yesterday and tested water got a 0 phosphate read and the brown algae is disappearing...i did not get the gfo because of the algae just got it to keep phosphates in check...I believe the algae issue was because my leds were not high enough...since I've raised them about 4 to 6 inches no more of it has grown

nitrates are at 0 or around 0 according to the red sea tester at least, kept the hob filter i run tlf hydracarbon 2 through it.

been thinking of adding another reactor to run biopellets through it but will wait to a couple of months to let my system get used to gfo and also to see how just the gfo does. Again i dont have any param issues just like the idea that can limit issues

Alright so everything was going great til my cobalt mj600 started sending electricity through the tank like I mean I couldn't even put a finger in the water...all my fish and corals seem fine besides my six line he's swimming back and forth like crazy I hope he recovers...I noticed because my clown wasn't sleeping in his anemone I unplugged all and it was the cobalt doing the harm. So after I call and complain to dr foster and smith because the pump came with my phosban reactor I want to ask for a smaller pump was wondering because the cobalt is too strong i had to have the ball valve barely open and it made the pump vibrate. So what is a good in tank small pump for a phosban 150 running 55 grams of phosban media. Also no water or anything that could of caused this just a faulty pump I believe

Ok so further investigating there is actually water coming out of the plug!!! I'm lost for words...it's leaking through one of the prongs has anyone even heard of this? This has to be a joke I will never use a cobalt product again

Back
Top Bottom