Switching live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJLiquid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 14 gal biocube established for four months now and want to replace the live rock with nicer live rock. I do have live rock in place of the bio balls. Will I be able to do this safely?

I have a 14 gal biocube established for four months now and want to replace the live rock with nicer live rock. I do have live rock in place of the bio balls. Will I be able to do this safely?

14 gal, would mean about 14 lbs. In how good of shape are you? I think you are the only one who can answer if you can safely lift it.

Good luck, and dont throw out your back...

14 gal, would mean about 14 lbs. In how good of shape are you? I think you are the only one who can answer if you can safely lift it.

Good luck, and dont throw out your back...

I dont think he was asking about the weight of the rock but more likely if the change out is ok or should he stay with the current rock setup.

You know,, like putting your fish from one tank to another without acclimating them

We need details, how did the move go? Did you throw out your back? I would hate to hear of someone getting hurt in one of the most relaxing hobbies there is...

To get back on subject here, Is the nicer LR already cured. If it is then you should be OK. I(f not cure it first and then add it. If not you wont have proper amount of nitrifying bacteria on the rock you are putting back in.

Can I just cure it in the tank before switching out the old stuff? I know it will be a lot of water displacement and a bunch of rock until it cures.

You`ll also get another cycle in your tank from all the dieoff from the new rock. I dont think you want that.

Well I just got 3lbs of new cured live rock instead of replacing all of it. Looks great! Just the right pieces make a huge difference. Also got a rock with a nice colony of fluorescent green star polyps and a rock with six gorgeous blue-purple mushrooms. Can't wait to post pictures.

Back
Top Bottom