Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2005, 06:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water changes!!! Do small water changes twice or three times a week, you did say your LR was already cycled, right? Do you know how much time was it cycled? If the LR is somewhat new/not cycled 100%, then you will have to do more water changes untill everything stabilizes.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
Live rock was completely cycled, for over a month at least. It seems that after I did the second water change things calmed down a little bit. The lights are on now and my anemone seems to be doing better, not quite as full as she normally is, but better then this afternoon. I am going to give it the rest of the day and check tomorrow and see what is going on. If things get much worse I will just move the anemone to another tank and stabilize this one with no life in it, but I would really not like to stress everything out by moving it.

Any suggestions on when or if to remove the other biological elements (rest of the noodles and the 2 bio wheels)? This is something that I need to do for a successful reef tank correct?

Thanks for all the help

Old 09-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update....tank seems to be doing ok, but the weird thing is that some of my live rock appears to be dieing off...well at least the purple coraline is turning white and coming off. Is this a result of removing bio material from the filters. Any suggestions on slowing or stopping this. I was thinking about adding some of the Reef DNA or Purple up stuff. I know that eventually it will come back, I am just concerned about the rock dieoff adding to my ammonia levels (not sure if it will or not)
Old 09-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

What are your CA and ALK levels? Coralline algae is quite sensitive to sudden changes in these parameters. If you have access to Seachems Reef Calcium which is an organic form of Calcium try using it, it does wonders in growing coralline.
Regards,
Old 09-12-2005, 05:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think that I maybe figured out the problem with the rock. When I had to do the emergency water changes to control the ammonia levels I did not have time to age the salt water, I just had to mix it and go. Someone suggested to me that the PH was probably off, and that this would be cause for the rock to loose the coraline and turn white. Strange thing is my corals have not had any negative effects, just the LR. The only supplement that I am adding to the tank is iodine. According to the LFS all my other levels are fine with my water changes.

Also I am thinking of using Purple up instead (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113028)
As I understand it, this product would be used instead of the Reef Vital and adding seperate Iodine. I am really interested to know if anyone has used this or suggests it.
Also I am thinking of using Reef vital DNA for my anemones and live rock and reather dusters. Anyone have any experience with this product. Would this be overkill combined with the purple up???
Old 09-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
do you have your own water testkit?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

yep I have my own. It is the master SW kit. It has all the standard tests.

Tags
chi, filter, filters, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com