Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-25-2005, 12:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
switching sand from course reef sand

I have this reef sand, thats like cat litter by caribsea. but i hate the look, want to switch to a sugar sized sand. the sand i got said it was specifically designed for netrification beds? so am i better off keeping it?

can i keep 20lbs of that sand, and buy 60lbs, would that work out well? or will i be annoyed more?

I originally bought this in a hurry, tryin to get my tank all set, and cuz there was a sale at Bigals that opened by me. I bought 100 lbs total,2-40 lbs Caribsea aragamax reef sand. and 1- 20 lb of of live sand.

i just dont like the look, and its bugging me. the live rock in the tank was fully cured before i got it, and my water was originally from the ocean. did not see a cycle.

Im sorry for the such a terribly long post, i never post this long!

Thanks in advance.

Jay D

55 gallon Reef now woohoo, slowly but surely
Hurricane 150 wet/dry,AquaC Urchin skimmer, 50 lbs LR, 10 lbs in sump, Odyssea 260 Watts CF

1 Blue tail Damsel(sad that he's goin back too )
1 TR Percula Clown
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 Peppermint shrimps
2 Emerald crabs(3rd went back to LFS)
10 blue legged hermits
15 astrea snails
bawla47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
You can change it out to a different sand if you want. There will be a disruption in the biological filtration by doing so. If you do it, I would expect to see a cycle again. Take some of the old substrate and put it into mesh bags and lay them on the new sand to help seed it. You could also add new sand on the top of the exsisting subsrate but the small sand will just settle to the bottom and you will be left with what you have now.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, reef, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com