Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Switching tanks

Started with a 55 gal saltwater tank. It looks pretty good. I just purchased a 110 gal XH for a freshwater. I decided fresh just doesn't get it for me in the 110 so I want to swap. Any tips and tricks to doing this? The 110 is going where the 55 was so I need to do some major emptying of both tanks. The 55 is a FOWLR with one coral. Since this 110 is about 31" deep will my lighting requirements change since I will probably stick with the FOWLR? Right now I have 4 x 65w.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Quote:
Started with a 55 gal saltwater tank. It looks pretty good. I just purchased a 110 gal XH for a freshwater. I decided fresh just doesn't get it for me in the 110 so I want to swap. Any tips and tricks to doing this?
Be prepared. First, make sure you have plenty of aged SW on hand to make up the difference. I suggest 60-70gals ready to go. Save as much water from the 55 as you can in rubbermaid tubs. Depending on how young your tank is and how much livestock you have in it, be ready to experience a mini-cycle due to a disruption in the Biological filtration.

More info on your tank would help...How old, livestock, substrate, filtration, amount of LR???

Quote:
The 55 is a FOWLR with one coral. Since this 110 is about 31" deep will my lighting requirements change since I will probably stick with the FOWLR? Right now I have 4 x 65w.
Not really much light for that size of tank. What kind of coral? How long is the tank?

Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #3

My 55 is only about 3 months old. The substrate is strictly live sand, my filtration is a wet/dry with a canister filter. My LR comes in at about 60lbs. I have about 3 damsels, two tangs, a dragon goby, a lawnmower blenny, maybe 3 other fish can't even remember what they are,, duh. Some crabs, a sea hair, one scallop, my brain coral, that's about it. The new 110 is 48w x 18d x 31h.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I had a 150 cube tank, similar in depth to yours. It was very hard to light. I had 660 watts of VHO lighting and it still was not enough. The light just could not get to the bottom.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:50 AM   #5

But is lighting that critical with FOWLR only?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its only that critical if youre going the reef route.

Tags
chi, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com