Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dose too (20% WC every 3 weeks). I think it might come down to price because a 64oz bottle of Part A or B or Mag additive only cost about $13. Each is good for 5 moths or so, so that's cheap. Not sure on the price diff and dosing difference as I'm using aquavitro. Might be something worthwhile tracking and LET US KNOW what you see.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's the reason why you dose, it's because the IO doesn't have enough of those trace elements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If they are dosing calc and mag on regular IO, i highly doubt switching to reef crystals is going to have that big of an impact
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have used regular I/O in my reef tanks and have not had anything "bad" happen. My corals still grow and look just fine. The extra trace elements make a small difference in the end if you are doing regular water changes. I/O has those elements, just in a smaller amount and thus can be depleted faster. BUT if you do a water change and those elements are not depleted yet then you are fine. This would apply in a small tank where there is not alot of corals, or the corals are soft of lps. When you start messing with sps dominated tanks then it might be another story.

I prefer to use reef crystals BUT if I cant swing the extra $10 or so I use I/O. Switching salts should not be a huge deal like it is being made out to be.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It's not a big deal. But neither is testing and dosing. The pre-made alk/cal/mag solutions can be made for a lot less money using bulk chemicals.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have maybe 25 sps coral in my 55 and one is now the size of a volley ball. I'd have to do daily water changes to keep up with the demand...lol Thats my fault though I love watching frags grow.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
It's not a big deal. But neither is testing and dosing. The pre-made alk/cal/mag solutions can be made for a lot less money using bulk chemicals.
I bought 5 pounds of soda ash, 5 pounds of calcium and 5 pounds of mag powder for under 20 bucks. I use it a teaspon at a time so it should last me over 6 months.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have any pH control issues using just sodium carbonate? I know it has a higher natural pH terminal level than sodium bicarbonate and can cause excessively high pH.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

No I made a drip out of a 2L bottle and some rubber tubing with a control so I can add 1 teaspoon over hours. It does raise the PH, when I didn't dose I would usually sit around 8.0 and now I'm over 8.2 all the time. If I do a daily dose it'll stay there but if I don't for a few days it drops and my coral get mad at me. 8.4 is the highest reading i've ever seen but I was adding it over a minute or so all at once...
Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
No I made a drip out of a 2L bottle and some rubber tubing with a control so I can add 1 teaspoon over hours. It does raise the PH, when I didn't dose I would usually sit around 8.0 and now I'm over 8.2 all the time. If I do a daily dose it'll stay there but if I don't for a few days it drops and my coral get mad at me. 8.4 is the highest reading i've ever seen but I was adding it over a minute or so all at once...
I use a medical doser and having an old system, I need the ph boost. You can turn sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) into sodium carbonate (soda ash) by just baking it in a oven.

Tags
instant ocean, reef crystals, salt, salt mix

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com