Switching to Reef Crystals...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right now, I'm using "plain" IO salt, but am going to switch to their reef salt in anticipation of adding corals to my currently FOWLR tank. Obviously, I can't drain the tank and switch out all of the water at once, but what is the best way to spread out the change? Should I do 20% a day for a week, 20% a week for a month, or less than that, but spread out over a longer period of time?

You can start with the water changes, but the main difference between IO and RC would be in terms of the calcium, Alkalinity, and magnesium. Do you know what these are at now, before you add corals? The main thing you want to avoid is a big bounce in any of those. Work to get the magnesium stable around 1250 to 1400, then the calcium (shoot for 400), then the alkalinity between 8 and 11. Once you've got that locked in, light and flow are the only things you need to really tweak as far as coral placement.

You can start with the water changes, but the main difference between IO and RC would be in terms of the calcium, Alkalinity, and magnesium. Do you know what these are at now, before you add corals? The main thing you want to avoid is a big bounce in any of those. Work to get the magnesium stable around 1250 to 1400, then the calcium (shoot for 400), then the alkalinity between 8 and 11. Once you've got that locked in, light and flow are the only things you need to really tweak as far as coral placement.

+1 to all dat!

Id do 3 50% water changes. Thatll put you at roughly 87.5% total water replacement. At that point your pwcs will pick up the other 12.5% in the following couple months.

I agree.

Someone posted that you should do 50% changes. that is madness. Switching salts should be done slowly over a longer period of time. IMO and how I have done this in the past is a gal at a time. in your case a nano would go fairly quick. Do a gallon every other day for a few weeks. That will be all you need. You might even find that water changes are eaiser and faster this way.

I test calcium and KH now, I need to pick up a mag test. So basically, once those are stable, just do my routine PWC to keep them nominal with the new salt? Or, should I dose slowly to bring them up in anticipation of introducing the salt?

I don't want to risk 50% changes. That's too big a swing (potentially) for me. I suppose I could re-drip acclimate my livestock (not much right now) over the course of 8 hrs or so, but what a PITA that would be.

I agree.

Someone posted that you should do 50% changes. that is madness. Switching salts should be done slowly over a longer period of time. IMO and how I have done this in the past is a gal at a time. in your case a nano would go fairly quick. Do a gallon every other day for a few weeks. That will be all you need. You might even find that water changes are eaiser and faster this way.

I like that plan, and it's totally do-able :)

Id do 3 50% water changes. Thatll put you at roughly 87.5% total water replacement. At that point your pwcs will pick up the other 12.5% in the following couple months.

This is right. If you listen to some of these others then your gonna need some more buckets of salt because your gonna go through about 150 $ worth of salt. This is the proper way

This is right. If you listen to some of these others then your gonna need some more buckets of salt because your gonna go through about 150 $ worth of salt. This is the proper way

Its a 20 gal tank. 50% is insane and Its asking for trouble.

I test calcium and KH now, I need to pick up a mag test. So basically, once those are stable, just do my routine PWC to keep them nominal with the new salt? Or, should I dose slowly to bring them up in anticipation of introducing the salt?

I don't want to risk 50% changes. That's too big a swing (potentially) for me. I suppose I could re-drip acclimate my livestock (not much right now) over the course of 8 hrs or so, but what a PITA that would be.

The new salt will raise this parameters slowly as is. I agree re acclimating is a waste of time. I would start the WC's and when you are ready give a test of the parameters. Remember, depending on the type and amount of corals you add you may not even need to supplement anything, the waterchanges may just keep it stable. An example is my sons nano, its a 20 Gal high mixed reef. However it is lightly stocked with corals, altogether about 15 differnt things. I do nothing but water changes on this tank and everythings does great. Growth is a little slower but im ok with it since its a nano.

I'll take some baseline tests to start, and start doing the PWCs, testing after each, and immediately prior to the following one (to gauge consumption of the various elements).

I won't add corals until the magnesium is at an acceptable level, and I'm not in a rush. I'd rather take my time and do it right (even if it's 20% at a time twice a week for a month) than risk livestock loss.

Id like to know exactly how doing a 50% water change is "insane" and "madness". What reef expert did you consult for this? Also doing 3- 50% water changes isnt going to waste as much as doing 1g water changes. Just as an fyi... If you do 1g water changes, its going to look like this. The percentages are what the new reef crystal salt would make up of total water volume.
1st pwc- 5%
2nd- 2.5- 3%
et etc etc. youll never actually raise and hold your levels by doing 1g pwcs. Doing 50% weekly for 3 weeks will put the OP at 87.5%... Reef crystals is no different than IO except it has slightly higher trace elements for better coral growth. Its not going to hurt his livestock.

Its no different than if someone has a large tank (100+g) and their nitrates are out of control, doing small frequent water changes isnt going to work as efficiently as a few bigger water changes.

He is not trying to remove nutrients with the same salt. He is switching salts. one should never switch salts drastically, it needs to be done slowly. He is also not trying to maintain a certain lvl of cal, alk, and mag. again he is switching salt. There is a safe way to do things in this hobby and there is a fast way to do things in this hobby. It is for him to decide which way he wants to go. We have both made out case and its done.

He is not trying to remove nutrients with the same salt. He is switching salts. one should never switch salts drastically, it needs to be done slowly. He is also not trying to maintain a certain lvl of cal, alk, and mag. again he is switching salt. There is a safe way to do things in this hobby and there is a fast way to do things in this hobby. It is for him to decide which way he wants to go. We have both made out case and its done.

Dude no need to be rude.

I change salts all the time with no problem, just do your normal PWC's and you'll be fine there's no need to over think it.

Do everything very slowly and deliberately while testing. Flying blind isn't recommended. Drastic changes are what causes many problems. Many forum members change up salt brands all the time. They just do it slowly during regular water changes. Most also test for alk/cal/mag if they grow a lot of hard corals.

Last edited:
I believe fish is not that sensitive on calcium and magnesium. You can just gradually raise them by dosing with those elements daily and at the same time do your regular pwc with 10% Reef Crystals. You can reach the right parameter in a week or two. Get the 2 part B-ionic since it includes the KH and Calcium then get a Mag.

I change salts all the time with no problem, just do your normal PWC's and you'll be fine there's no need to over think it.

This would be my suggestion also. Regular pwc's will do just fine. BTW there is more than one right answer for the question.

I agree as well. I change salts on a pretty regular basis (on purpose) and simply do so with my weekly water changes. No ill effects witnessed.

Back
Top Bottom